Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Carbon seatpost and frame & lube/grease

Started by Aerodynamics · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,603 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 August 2014
Last activity
4 August 2014
Original author
Aerodynamics
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,603
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have made a mistake of putting grease on a carbon seatpost into a frame, I had trouble getting it out, and in, so Id thought id put grease to fit it back in easier.. What can go wrong? Can the carbon weaken or anything? I have got paper roll and wet-wipes to try remove all the grease on the post and inside the frame, although I can't get right into the seat tube only towards the top, so hopefully there isn't much down there. What should I use to lube the post into the frame? Should I just try put the seatpost back in?

  2. bump

  3. I am not a materials expert, but I don't think you should expect any long term damage. Just clean up the components as best as you can.

    I had the opposite issue when assembling CF components on a AL frame. The carbon was too slippery, some carbon assembly paste worked great to add friction between the surfaces. I would contact a shop familiar with CF assembly an see what if any CF lubricant to use; I suspect that dry graphite lube may work.

  4. My general rule is, grease for metal-to-metal, CF assembly paste for anything that involves a CF surface. It helps things slide when it's loose and adds friction when you clamp it tight.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.