General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Can someone translate please?

Started by TheGolfersWife · · Last activity · 51 posts · 503 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 March 2007
Last activity
3 April 2007
Original author
TheGolfersWife
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
503
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. MaryMc said:

    It's heavenly in Quiche Lorraine.

    Sometimes you see a name that for some reason just pops into your
    head from a long time ago.

    Does your name end in "ish", by any chance?

    -sw

  2. TheGolfersWife said:

    I have just received a copy of Giada de Lorentis book Everyday Italian
    which I won in an internet contest! It is lovely, but I as it is
    American and I am in New Zealand I would like some help with
    translating ingredients.

    Are red pepper flakes from what we call capsicums and you term bell
    peppers?

    I have both red pepper flakes and chilli pepper flakes in my pantry.


    I guess it depends on the recipe. It didn't specify "hot" pepper
    flakes?

    Quoted message said:

    We do not have any sort of store-bought dough for making breadsticks
    so far as I know. Another Kiwi may be able to help me here.


    Make your own dough in that case. She's just trying to suggest a
    short cut.

    Quoted message said:

    What type of cheese is fontini please? What would be a good

    You mean Fontina? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontina_cheese

    Quoted message said:

    substitute (if any)?

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  3. On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:40:44 GMT, Benny <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject : Can someone translate please?
    From : <Steve Wertz> [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Use gruyere(sp) or aged provalone (but not dry provolone).

    -sw

    My wife used gruyere in a potato gratin last week. It's one of the most
    vile foods I have ever had the misfortune of smelling and tasting so try
    it out at your delicatessen's first.

    I don't like gruyere either. Jarlesberg is my favorite all around
    cheese and it would be a decent substitute for fontina too.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  4. jmcquown said:

    Gruyere is not intended to be used in potato gratin.

    Eh? It is the cheese traditionally used in gratin savoyard, the most
    famous potato-cheese gratin of them all. It is made with consommé, BTW.
    Some poor befuddled people, one of them a certain Auguste Escoffier (a
    native of Provence), confuse it with gratin dauphinois which, however,
    is supposed to be made with cream or milk instead of consommé and with
    no cheese. In French potato gratins that call for cheese, Gruyère is
    usually the default. BTW, it is both a Swiss and a French cheese,
    produced on both sides of the border.

    Victor

  5. James Silverton not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not said:

    I wonder what cheeses *are* unsuitable for use in melting or
    gratins?

    In gratin auvergnat, bleu d'Auvergne is used, but other blue cheeses
    would work very well, too.

    Victor

  6. Chatty Cathy said:
    sueb said:

    This sounds like a tasty recipe. How in the world do you "grate" a
    tomato?

    LOL. That was my question... However, if you have firm fresh tomatoes -
    just slice the tops off, put the "open end" on the grater and start
    grating.. (I have an old-fashioned "box grater"😉. It goes all "mushy"
    and the skin sorta stays behind. But I suppose you could skin the
    tomatoes and then blitz them in a blender or something.... 😉

    It was very good, BTW.
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

    Couldn't you just julienne them? I'm having trouble visualizing what
    is left, other than mush, after you grate them.

    Susan B.

  7. sf said:
    TheGolfersWife said:

    I have just received a copy of Giada de Lorentis book Everyday Italian
    which I won in an internet contest! It is lovely, but I as it is
    American and I am in New Zealand I would like some help with
    translating ingredients.

    Are red pepper flakes from what we call capsicums and you term bell
    peppers?

    I have both red pepper flakes and chilli pepper flakes in my pantry.


    I guess it depends on the recipe. It didn't specify "hot" pepper
    flakes?

    No - just a half teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    We do not have any sort of store-bought dough for making breadsticks
    so far as I know. Another Kiwi may be able to help me here.


    Make your own dough in that case. She's just trying to suggest a
    short cut.

    I will get one of my daughters to do it for me because she makes
    really really good pizza dough!

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    What type of cheese is fontini please? What would be a good

    You mean Fontina? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontina_cheese

    Quoted message said:

    substitute (if any)?


    I will try gouda or gruyere I think for starters. Or even a grated
    mild colby or edam.

    Thanks for the post.

    The Golfer's Wife

    "For as many men, there are as many opinions." - Seneca

  8. sf said:

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:40:44 GMT, Benny <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject : Can someone translate please?
    From : <Steve Wertz> [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Use gruyere(sp) or aged provalone (but not dry provolone).

    -sw

    My wife used gruyere in a potato gratin last week. It's one of the most
    vile foods I have ever had the misfortune of smelling and tasting so try
    it out at your delicatessen's first.

    I don't like gruyere either. Jarlesberg is my favorite all around
    cheese and it would be a decent substitute for fontina too.

    I find Jarlesberg has absolutely no flavour and of course no bite at
    all. It is a good texture cheese and my grandchildren like it -
    probably because it is so mild.

    The Golfer's Wife

    "For as many men, there are as many opinions." - Seneca

  9. <TheGolfersWife> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just received a copy of Giada de Lorentis book Everyday Italian
    which I won in an internet contest! It is lovely, but I as it is
    American and I am in New Zealand I would like some help with
    translating ingredients.

    Are red pepper flakes from what we call capsicums and you term bell
    peppers?

    I have both red pepper flakes and chilli pepper flakes in my pantry.

    We do not have any sort of store-bought dough for making breadsticks
    so far as I know. Another Kiwi may be able to help me here.

    What type of cheese is fontini please? What would be a good
    substitute (if any)?

    I look forward to finding these things out!

    The Golfer's Wife

    "For as many men, there are as many opinions." - Seneca

    Try this:

    http://www.foodsubs.com/SpiceHisp.html

  10. TheGolfersWife said:
    sf said:
    TheGolfersWife said:

    What type of cheese is fontini please? What would be a good

    You mean Fontina? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontina_cheese

    Quoted message said:

    substitute (if any)?


    I will try gouda or gruyere I think for starters. Or even a grated
    mild colby or edam.


    All of the above *except* colby will be fine. Colby (which I'm
    surprised you can find) isn't even in the ballpark.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  11. TheGolfersWife said:
    sf said:

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:40:44 GMT, Benny <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    > Subject : Can someone translate please?
    > From : <Steve Wertz> [email hidden]

    > Use gruyere(sp) or aged provalone (but not dry provolone).
    >
    > -sw

    My wife used gruyere in a potato gratin last week. It's one of the most
    vile foods I have ever had the misfortune of smelling and tasting so try
    it out at your delicatessen's first.

    I don't like gruyere either. Jarlesberg is my favorite all around
    cheese and it would be a decent substitute for fontina too.

    I find Jarlesberg has absolutely no flavour and of course no bite at
    all. It is a good texture cheese and my grandchildren like it -
    probably because it is so mild.


    In that case, you won't like fontina, provolone or gouda either, so go
    with the gruyere.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  12. Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
    so great) words of knowledge:

    Quoted message said:
    TheGolfersWife said:
    sf said:

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:40:44 GMT, Benny <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    > > Subject : Can someone translate please?
    > > From : <Steve Wertz> [email hidden]
    >
    > > Use gruyere(sp) or aged provalone (but not dry provolone).
    > >
    > > -sw
    >
    >My wife used gruyere in a potato gratin last week. It's one of the most
    >vile foods I have ever had the misfortune of smelling and tasting so try
    >it out at your delicatessen's first.

    I don't like gruyere either. Jarlesberg is my favorite all around
    cheese and it would be a decent substitute for fontina too.

    I find Jarlesberg has absolutely no flavour and of course no bite at
    all. It is a good texture cheese and my grandchildren like it -
    probably because it is so mild.


    In that case, you won't like fontina, provolone or gouda either, so go
    with the gruyere.

    And you DEFINITELY will not like assagio (spelling ? ) cheese. This is
    the cheese that Olive Garden puts in a lot of their dishes.

  13. Ted Campanelli said:


    And you DEFINITELY will not like assagio (spelling ? ) cheese. This is
    the cheese that Olive Garden puts in a lot of their dishes.

    the only thing that's good about Olive Garden is the size of their
    "regular" Bombay Sapphire (gin) martini. It's almost as big as a
    bathtub. I found a larger one at a place I'd actually eat at gladly
    last weekend.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  14. Kate replied to Jill:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Gruyere is not intended to be used in potato gratin. It's a swiss cheese
    akin to Emmathaler and works best (if not just for snacking) in fondue
    with a little dry white wine or kirsch.

    What? Since when? It's one of the go to cheeses for gratins as well as
    fondue and grilled cheese sandwiches. It has wonderful melting
    properties. Maybe this fellow got a bad batch but to suggest that it is
    not "intended" to be used with potato gratins is just plain... well...
    ill-informed. On what could you possibly have based this answer? I have
    dozens of cookbooks that have gratins made with gruyere and/or emmental
    plus it's frequently used in French onion soup gratinee and cheese
    quiches.

    Jill frequently writes as if her personal tastes were the same as
    everybody's tastes, or as if she's some kind of culinary authority, even
    when she's demonstrably wrong. Sheldon does the same thing. Just shows how
    self-centered they are.

    I agree with what you wrote as to gruyere's uses, though I'll add that it's
    also my go-to cheese for topping French onion soup.

    Bob

  15. sf said:
    TheGolfersWife said:
    sf said:

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:08:32 +1200, TheGolfersWife <> wrote:

    >What type of cheese is fontini please? What would be a good

    You mean Fontina? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontina_cheese
    >substitute (if any)?
    >


    I will try gouda or gruyere I think for starters. Or even a grated
    mild colby or edam.


    All of the above *except* colby will be fine. Colby (which I'm
    surprised you can find) isn't even in the ballpark.

    I don't recall what cheeses I saw in supermarkets and those other
    healthy food stores in the US when I was there in June. I do remember
    a lot of cheese was sliced and there was more processed cheese than we
    have here (in New Zealand). I bought some sliced Swiss cheese to eat
    with some crackers once but I don't think it was memorable! I didn't
    manage to get to any specialist cheese shops in the US but I know they
    do exist and many cheese types are available. I would have liked to.

    Cheese is made here and exported, but we can buy many imported
    Italian, Dutch and Danish cheeses. I prefer Italian parmesan,
    pecorino and some gorgonzola, although all of these cheeses and most
    of the other popular types from France and Denmark and even England
    are made here in New Zealand (but we are not allowed to give them
    their original names - only a subtitle in brackets!)

    Our cheaper supermarket block cheeses tend to be cheddar tasty, edam,
    colby and cheddar mild. We have most if not all of the French cheese
    types but no cheese made from unpasteurised milk. This is because
    historically and long long ago there was TB in some dairy herds in NZ
    and all milk had to be pasteurised for sale and no cheese made from
    unpasteurised milk could be sold. I don't know if some cheesemakers
    ever made any for their own use. Probably! This outdated policy now
    needs a revisit because TB-testing of herds is mandatory and there has
    been no sign of the disease in cows for over 35 years!

    We have buffalo mozarella from one cheeseemaking company - and it is
    excellent. And we have super feta cheese and ricotta. So we don't
    miss out. I have never seen fontini cheese anywhere, so there cannot
    be a demand for this cheese either imported or locally made.

    I buy Italian gorgonzola for its crumbling quality when I want to make
    bleu cheese dressing, but buy NZ gorgonzola for the table (it is just
    as good and half the price). I buy English Applewood smoked cheese
    for its taste and quality because I haven't yet found a good local
    one. And there is nothing quite like Italian parmesan or pecorino.

    The Golfer's Wife

    "For as many men, there are as many opinions." - Seneca

  16. TheGolfersWife said:

    Our cheaper supermarket block cheeses tend to be cheddar tasty, edam,
    colby and cheddar mild.

    I'm completely agog that you get colby in new zealand!

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  17. sf said:
    TheGolfersWife said:

    Our cheaper supermarket block cheeses tend to be cheddar tasty, edam,
    colby and cheddar mild.

    I'm completely agog that you get colby in new zealand!

    I can't find your newsgroup email address to reply to because I dont
    think other posters are interested in our "conversation".

    Colby cheese has been made in NZ for many years and sold widely. I
    can remember it as a child. I don't particularly like colby cheese -
    it's a bit bland for me. But lots of people buy it obviously because
    there it is year in and year out in large and smaller blocks on the
    supermarket shelves.

    Cheers

    The Golfer's Wife

    "For as many men, there are as many opinions." - Seneca

  18. TheGolfersWife said:


    I can't find your newsgroup email address to reply to because I dont
    think other posters are interested in our "conversation".

    What interface are you using that you can't simply "reply"?

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  19. sf said:

    the only thing that's good about Olive Garden is the size
    of their "regular" Bombay Sapphire (gin) martini.  It's almost
    as big as a bathtub.  I found a larger one at a place I'd actually > eat at gladly last weekend.

    Assuming you're referring to a SF Bay Area restaurant,
    woul you mind saying which one and where? (not Olive
    Garden, the other one where you'd gladly eat)

  20. KevinS said:
    sf said:

    the only thing that's good about Olive Garden is the size
    of their "regular" Bombay Sapphire (gin) martini.
    It's almostas big as a bathtub.
    found a larger one at a place I'd actually
    eat at gladly last weekend.

    Assuming you're referring to a SF Bay Area restaurant,
    woul you mind saying which one and where? (not Olive
    Garden, the other one where you'd gladly eat)

    It's called Central Park Bistro in downtown San Mateo (kitty corner
    from Draeger's). http://www.centralparkbistro.com/
    PS: their glasses have a nice shape too... it's all part of the
    martini experience. 🙂

    Be careful if you're driving! I went home and slept for hours after
    just one.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.