Can I make a Pedal Go Cart?

I want to make a pedal go cart that I saw while I was on vacation. Irt
wasa home made looking one, I have been searching for a long time and
have not found free plans anywhere. Can someone reffer me to a site
with plans?

[email protected] wrote:
> I want to make a pedal go cart that I saw while I was on vacation. Irt
> wasa home made looking one, I have been searching for a long time and
> have not found free plans anywhere. Can someone reffer me to a site
> with plans?

Not too sure there are plans available on this site, but it would be a
good place to start looking. http://www.ihpva.org/Builders/

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

Ken C. M. writes:

>> I want to make a pedal go cart that I saw while I was on
>> vacation. Irt was a home made looking one, I have been searching for
>> a long time and have not found free plans anywhere. Can someone
>> refer me to a site with plans?

> Not too sure there are plans available on this site, but it would be
> a good place to start looking. http://www.ihpva.org/Builders/

The biggest problem with such 4-wheeled vehicles is that there are no
convenient differential axle drives available. There are pedicabs
that have them but I have not been able to find one for my children's
Irish Mail (steered by feet and pumped by rowing lever.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/car/car.html

If you know of a source for a differential drive for human powered
vehicles, I'd like to hear of it.

All of these vehicles use one wheel drive and don't work well in sharp
turns about the drive wheel. That wheel also skids easily and rapidly
wears out that tire.

Jobst Brandt

On 01 May 2006 22:17:33 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>The biggest problem with such 4-wheeled vehicles is that there are no
>convenient differential axle drives available. There are pedicabs
>that have them but I have not been able to find one for my children's
>Irish Mail (steered by feet and pumped by rowing lever.
>
>http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/car/car.html

Think about it for a moment. Where would you put a differential in a
crank axle? The crank would have to be moved forward, and a chain or
belt drive used to connect the cranked shaft to the diff. There are
riding mowers with such circumferentially-driven differentials; a
conversation with some of the people at a knowledgable mower repair
shop might locate just what you're seeking.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Where's the hat rack writes:

>> The biggest problem with such 4-wheeled vehicles is that there are
>> no convenient differential axle drives available. There are
>> pedicabs that have them but I have not been able to find one for my
>> children's Irish Mail (steered by feet and pumped by rowing lever.

>> http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/car/car.html

> Think about it for a moment. Where would you put a differential in
> a crank axle? The crank would have to be moved forward, and a chain
> or belt drive used to connect the cranked shaft to the diff. There
> are riding mowers with such circumferentially-driven differentials;
> a conversation with some of the people at a knowledgeable mower
> repair shop might locate just what you're seeking.

The differential belongs at the rear axle and as you can see, most
Irish Mails have a crank on that axle. The one I have has the crank
ahead of the axle and a 3:2 chain drive to the axle. This makes the
project far simpler.

Are you sure mowers have a small differential?

Jobst Brandt

On 02 May 2006 01:18:22 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Where's the hat rack writes:
>
>>> The biggest problem with such 4-wheeled vehicles is that there are
>>> no convenient differential axle drives available. There are
>>> pedicabs that have them but I have not been able to find one for my
>>> children's Irish Mail (steered by feet and pumped by rowing lever.

>>> http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/car/car.html

>> Think about it for a moment. Where would you put a differential in
>> a crank axle? The crank would have to be moved forward, and a chain
>> or belt drive used to connect the cranked shaft to the diff. There
>> are riding mowers with such circumferentially-driven differentials;
>> a conversation with some of the people at a knowledgeable mower
>> repair shop might locate just what you're seeking.

>The differential belongs at the rear axle and as you can see, most
>Irish Mails have a crank on that axle. The one I have has the crank
>ahead of the axle and a 3:2 chain drive to the axle. This makes the
>project far simpler.
>
>Are you sure mowers have a small differential?

I've thrown away a couple of them, so yes, some do. Not all, but they
exist.
--

([email protected]) wrote:
> I want to make a pedal go cart that I saw while I was on vacation. Irt
> wasa home made looking one, I have been searching for a long time and
> have not found free plans anywhere. Can someone reffer me to a site
> with plans?

No plans, but you may find some useful gen and/or contacts at or near
here:

<URL:http://www.pedalcars.info/index.asp>

Funsize Mars bars? What could possibly be MORE fun about eating LESS
chocolate?

In article <[email protected]>,
([email protected]) wrote:

> The biggest problem with such 4-wheeled vehicles is that there are no
> convenient differential axle drives available. There are pedicabs
> that have them but I have not been able to find one for my children's
> Irish Mail (steered by feet and pumped by rowing lever.
>
> http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/car/car.html
>
> If you know of a source for a differential drive for human powered
> vehicles, I'd like to hear of it.

They used to be available for trike rear axles in the UK - the name of
the late Ken Bird used always to crop up in relation to trike diffs, as
did - more rarely - Henry Higgins. Most upright trikes over here just
drive the left rear wheel, but 2WD trikes - using a double freewheel
system - are still available from Longstaff:

<URL:http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk/longstaff/channels/longstaffs_engi
neering_left/trikes_ttrikes/fframes.htm>

They might be prepared to sell one if asked nicely.

Photos have also surfaced recently of a Greenspeed quad:

<URL:http://www.greenspeed.com.au/newsletter9.htm#5. Velomobile%
20Development>

but they're not telling what the rear axle is like.

Among the calamities of war may be jointly numbered the diminution of
the love of truth, by the falsehoods which interest dictates and
credulity encourages.

In article <[email protected]>, Dave
Larrington ([email protected]) wrote:

> They used to be available for trike rear axles in the UK - the name of
> the late Ken Bird used always to crop up in relation to trike diffs, as
> did - more rarely - Henry Higgins.

For Ken Bird substitute Ken Rogers. Apologies for any kenfusion.

I have a shell collection, have you seen it? I keep it scattered on the
world's beaches.