Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Can I change my own pedals?

Started by jschoch · · Last activity · 5 posts · 994 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 April 2006
Last activity
20 April 2006
Original author
jschoch
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
994
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm a total newbie, done a few triathlons 6 years ago but used cages and my running shoes. I'm getting back into it so I got Shimano PD515's. My bike is a '96 Specialized Allez.....am I going to be able to change the pedals myself or should I take it in to a bike shop? I'll admit I can't even figure out how to get the cage pedals off. If there are instructions somewhere online I'd much rather do it myself than waste time taking it in.

    Thanks!

  2. jschoch said:

    I'm a total newbie, done a few triathlons 6 years ago but used cages and my running shoes. I'm getting back into it so I got Shimano PD515's. My bike is a '96 Specialized Allez.....am I going to be able to change the pedals myself or should I take it in to a bike shop? I'll admit I can't even figure out how to get the cage pedals off. If there are instructions somewhere online I'd much rather do it myself than waste time taking it in.

    Thanks!


    The secret is knowing that the left pedal threads "backwards" (counterclockwise tightens it in further). Have a look at the Park Tool website:

    parktool.comreadhowto.asp

    Dan

  3. 15mm wrench should do the trick. Just make sure you put the pedals on the correct sides.

  4. Make sure you put some grease on the thread of the new pedals

  5. Another way to remember in which way to thread the pedals in is that you thread both pedals towards the front of your bike.

    And obviously, to loosen them you turn them towards the back of your bike.

    Remember to grease the pedals thread before you screw them in

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.