can anyone suggest a decent MTB trail/s near Melb - or a website to find this info?

ODB

Guest
beginner to intermediate but wanna have some real fun, dont mind getting
dirty!

thanks!

as per: http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136

"Mountain Bike Trails and the State Mountain Bike Course

Lysterfield Park Mountain Bike Trails and the State Mountain Bike course has 20 kilometres of exciting and environmentally sustainable trails that cater for riders of all ages and ability.

Choose from easy family trails for all to enjoy around the lake and parkland, a range of flowing single trails through established plantations or steep and technical sections of trail through rocky landscapes. All trails are clearly sign posted with directional information and gradings.

Parks Victoria together with the Mountain Bike Association of Australia have carefully designed trail alignments to protect environmental values of the park, whilst providing a high quality Mountain Biking experience. The trail system has been designed for sustainable for long term use. You can help ensure that these trails remain open for use by only riding on formally signed trails and not creating or using informally created trails. (Those not identified on the map).

There are a number of other trails within the park that are for shared use and some trails are for Mountain Bikes only. Please also respect the trails that are designated for walkers and equestrian use only.

Organised groups of twenty or more people require an Event Permit which requires approximately 6 weeks advanced notice. For further information on obtaining an Event Permit please contact the Park Office on 13 1963.

Take the opportunity to explore the Park by starting your ride at the trail head located in the Mahogany Car Park at the Horswood Road entrance to Lysterfield Park . (Melway 108 D1)"

cheers!

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> as per: http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136
>
> "Mountain Bike Trails and the State Mountain Bike Course
>
> Lysterfield Park Mountain Bike Trails and the State Mountain Bike
> course has 20 kilometres of exciting and environmentally sustainable
> trails that cater for riders of all ages and ability.
>
> Choose from easy family trails for all to enjoy around the lake and
> parkland, a range of flowing single trails through established
> plantations or steep and technical sections of trail through rocky
> landscapes. All trails are clearly sign posted with directional
> information and gradings.
>
> Parks Victoria together with the Mountain Bike Association of Australia
> have carefully designed trail alignments to protect environmental values
> of the park, whilst providing a high quality Mountain Biking experience.
> The trail system has been designed for sustainable for long term use.
> You can help ensure that these trails remain open for use by only
> riding on formally signed trails and not creating or using informally
> created trails. (Those not identified on the map).
>
> There are a number of other trails within the park that are for shared
> use and some trails are for Mountain Bikes only. Please also respect
> the trails that are designated for walkers and equestrian use only.
>
> Organised groups of twenty or more people require an Event Permit which
> requires approximately 6 weeks advanced notice. For further information
> on obtaining an Event Permit please contact the Park Office on 13
> 1963.
>
> Take the opportunity to explore the Park by starting your ride at the
> trail head located in the Mahogany Car Park at the Horswood Road
> entrance to Lysterfield Park . (Melway 108 D1)"
>

> --
> flyingdutch

ps. what is the best way to get there with a train? somehwere near belgrave
or a different station?

"ODB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cheers!
>
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> as per: http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136
>>
>> "Mountain Bike Trails and the State Mountain Bike Course
>>
>> Lysterfield Park Mountain Bike Trails and the State Mountain Bike
>> course has 20 kilometres of exciting and environmentally sustainable
>> trails that cater for riders of all ages and ability.
>>
>> Choose from easy family trails for all to enjoy around the lake and
>> parkland, a range of flowing single trails through established
>> plantations or steep and technical sections of trail through rocky
>> landscapes. All trails are clearly sign posted with directional
>> information and gradings.
>>
>> Parks Victoria together with the Mountain Bike Association of Australia
>> have carefully designed trail alignments to protect environmental values
>> of the park, whilst providing a high quality Mountain Biking experience.
>> The trail system has been designed for sustainable for long term use.
>> You can help ensure that these trails remain open for use by only
>> riding on formally signed trails and not creating or using informally
>> created trails. (Those not identified on the map).
>>
>> There are a number of other trails within the park that are for shared
>> use and some trails are for Mountain Bikes only. Please also respect
>> the trails that are designated for walkers and equestrian use only.
>>
>> Organised groups of twenty or more people require an Event Permit which
>> requires approximately 6 weeks advanced notice. For further information
>> on obtaining an Event Permit please contact the Park Office on 13
>> 1963.
>>
>> Take the opportunity to explore the Park by starting your ride at the
>> trail head located in the Mahogany Car Park at the Horswood Road
>> entrance to Lysterfield Park . (Melway 108 D1)"
>>

>> --
>> flyingdutch

thanks for that - and damage to me or my fancy looking disc brakes which the
man in the store told me to spend the extra $100 on ? :p

news:[email protected]...

ODB wrote:
> thanks for that - and damage to me or my fancy looking disc brakes which the
> man in the store told me to spend the extra $100 on ? :p

The tracks and surrounding environment.

Parbs

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 12:15:42 +0000, ODB wrote:

> thanks for that - and damage to me or my fancy looking disc brakes which the
> man in the store told me to spend the extra $100 on ? :p

Actually mud and wet conditions is where trashing easily replaced and very
durable rotors is preferable to trashing rims. Besides, you can't look
'core with rim brakes!

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
We are, in fact, at the cutting edge of cocking about

ODB said:
thanks for that - and damage to me or my fancy looking disc brakes which the
man in the store told me to spend the extra $100 on ? :p

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ODB Wrote:
>> ps. what is the best way to get there with a train? somehwere near
>> belgrave or a different station?

> Just this very question was asked recently on the 'Lysty yahoogroup'
> (http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/lysterfieldmtb), and the reply was
> Belgrave station:
>
> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lysterfield-Park-to-Belgrave
>
> .. Or Hallam station:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2jnnkj
>
> Although after the last few weeks, be prepared for mud and please try
> to stick to the established singletrack to minimise any damage. ;)
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Your chain, cassette, chainrings, hubs, headset, bottom bracket and suspension fork will hate you if you ride in the mud. Be prepared to be replacing worn out parts all the time if you do a lot of mud riding.

PS: Right now, Lysterfield is muddy. For an idea of just how muddy, have a look at http://yourtrails.net/pics/cts3/image.php (photos from a race on Sunday).

SomeGuy said:
Your chain, cassette, chainrings, hubs, headset, bottom bracket and suspension fork will hate you if you ride in the mud. Be prepared to be replacing worn out parts all the time if you do a lot of mud riding.

PS: Right now, Lysterfield is muddy. For an idea of just how muddy, have a look at http://yourtrails.net/pics/cts3/image.php (photos from a race on Sunday).

Looks like some bogs are re-developing, could be time for another Parks Vic/Lysty MTB users working bee? Obviously Snozza is working with PV, so a couple of suggestions wouldn't go astray to keep in everyone's good books. ;)