I have a 1995 8 speed right shifter that is smooth as
butter. In fact it has of late gotten so smooth that I'm
concerned. It requires little pressure of the thumb to
shift, and there is little feeling of the indents that it
used to have. It still shifts fine ---in fact never better,
but what I wonder is if I should replace the springs and/or
gear now or will it continue to work the way it is for a
long time. Will it fail compleatly all at once??
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Campy Shifter repair or ride
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 6 May 2004
- Last activity
- 7 May 2004
- Original author
- Bob
- Posts
- 3
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 485
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Bob said:
I have a 1995 8 speed right shifter that is smooth as
butter. In fact it has of late gotten so smooth that I'm
concerned. It requires little pressure of the thumb to
shift, and there is little feeling of the indents that
it used to have. It still shifts fine ---in fact never
better, but what I wonder is if I should replace the
springs and/or gear now or will it continue to work the
way it is for a long time. Will it fail compleatly all
at once??Shifting will continue to gradually soften. Before "long",
there won't be any clicks at all. Order the springs now but
carry on using the levers until shifting becomes
unacceptable, then promptly service (or replace*) them.The shifters never completely fail to operate, though. They
just turn into friction levers -- albeit friction levers
without very much friction! So you can still "ride home",
just got to watchout for slippage.* I find 9-speed Ergos are superior: more comfortable shape
and better shifting action. Could be used with 8-speed by
respacing the cassette with a special kit.~PB
-
2rshafer-<< It still shifts fine ---in fact never better,
but what I wonder is if I should replace the springs and/or
gear now or will it continue to work the way it is for a
long time. Will it fail compleatly all at once?? >><BR><BR>If it works,, ride it. Replace the springs if you wish but
when one breaks, it may not work well..hold in a bigger
cog..No reason to replace the shift gear..very hard steel,
never seen one wear out..even tho MANY mailorder outfits see
fit to tell ya you need to replace it.Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.comOpen ↗ "Ruote convenzionali
costruite eccezionalmente bene"
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.