Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Campy Athena vs Campy Chorus weights

Started by rgr692 · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,268 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
11 June 2005
Last activity
11 June 2005
Original author
rgr692
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,268
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All,

    I need some advice and I thought this forum would probably be the best source...Here's the deliema: In 1996 I lived in Vincenza, Italy for about year and a half. While there I had a custom Italian bike made to my measurements: Columbus SLX (steel) frame and Campy Athena Group throughout. I have been riding it ever since and it is a great bike...except it weights 23 pounds! I was wondering...would upgrading to a higher group (Chorus or Record Carbon) reduce the weight appreciablely. I would like to get the bike down to around the 18 pounds (sub 20) How much does a complete group weigh? Would it be worth the expense or should I just retire the old steel steed and jump on the carbon fiber band wagon. Here are the rest of the specs on the bike:

    Frame: Columbus SLX (steel) 52-53cm (custom built so its inbetween sizes)
    Fork: Columbus Chrome steel
    Stem: ITM
    Handlebars: Euro ITM
    Campy Athena group throughout : Headset, hubs, brakes, rear/front derailers, pedals, bottom bracket, crank (170cm)...everything
    Wheels: Campy Vento Aero (20 spoke). Front and Rear

    Please keep in mind all of this stuff is circa 1996. Can I upgrade groups and achieve my desire weight or should I just buy a new bike. My budget is 2500 dollars.

    Thanks for the help.

    Tony

  2. Sorry,

    Posted this question in the wrong forum...reposted in the equipment forum...sorry about my confusion.

    Tony

    rgr692 said:

    Hello All,

    I need some advice and I thought this forum would probably be the best source...Here's the deliema: In 1996 I lived in Vincenza, Italy for about year and a half. While there I had a custom Italian bike made to my measurements: Columbus SLX (steel) frame and Campy Athena Group throughout. I have been riding it ever since and it is a great bike...except it weights 23 pounds! I was wondering...would upgrading to a higher group (Chorus or Record Carbon) reduce the weight appreciablely. I would like to get the bike down to around the 18 pounds (sub 20) How much does a complete group weigh? Would it be worth the expense or should I just retire the old steel steed and jump on the carbon fiber band wagon. Here are the rest of the specs on the bike:

    Frame: Columbus SLX (steel) 52-53cm (custom built so its inbetween sizes)
    Fork: Columbus Chrome steel
    Stem: ITM
    Handlebars: Euro ITM
    Campy Athena group throughout : Headset, hubs, brakes, rear/front derailers, pedals, bottom bracket, crank (170cm)...everything
    Wheels: Campy Vento Aero (20 spoke). Front and Rear

    Please keep in mind all of this stuff is circa 1996. Can I upgrade groups and achieve my desire weight or should I just buy a new bike. My budget is 2500 dollars.

    Thanks for the help.

    Tony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.