Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Biking with a [censored] of stuff

Started by John Santos · · Last activity · 3 posts · 633 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 May 2003
Last activity
28 May 2003
Original author
John Santos
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
633
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Don't know if this really belongs here, but there aren't any newsgroups dedicated to commuting.

    My commute to and from school is 8k (5mi). Short, but my bike is a POS and my books add 30lbs either
    on my bag or on the rear of the bike. Half of this is an ascent complete with steep slopes and
    switch backs. Basically, I commute on a 60 dh sled.

    Any tips on how to descend fast and under control? As well, what are some things I can do to
    increase my pace/endurance on the climb (I average 10-15km/h, then bonk out)? It's not a regualarly
    hard climb; it's just the extra weight.

    BTW, this is commute is on dirt, in case anyone thinks I'm posting roadie material on AMB.

  2. "John Santos" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't know if this really belongs here, but there aren't any newsgroups dedicated to commuting.

    My commute to and from school is 8k (5mi). Short, but my bike is a POS and my books add 30lbs
    either on my bag or on the rear of the bike. Half of


    this

    Quoted message said:

    is an ascent complete with steep slopes and switch backs. Basically, I commute on a 60 dh sled.

    Any tips on how to descend fast and under control? As

    Try descending with 30 pounds of stuff you can crash with and not feel bad.

    Get some body armor and discover the limit.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. "John Santos" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't know if this really belongs here, but there aren't any newsgroups dedicated to commuting.

    My commute to and from school is 8k (5mi). Short, but my bike is a POS and my books add 30lbs
    either on my bag or on the rear of the bike. Half of


    this

    Quoted message said:

    is an ascent complete with steep slopes and switch backs. Basically, I commute on a 60 dh sled.

    Any tips on how to descend fast and under control? As well, what are some things I can do to
    increase my pace/endurance on the climb (I average 10-15km/h, then bonk out)? It's not a
    regualarly hard climb; it's just the extra weight.

    BTW, this is commute is on dirt, in case anyone thinks I'm posting roadie material on AMB.

    If you do use racks, try and get the weight down around the axle using saddle bags. This gives the
    most stable platform.

    I think if you did a search for touring sites I think you could find good information on what is
    considered the best weight balance (front to read percentages).

    I certainly wouldn't think that on your back is a very good place.

    Your climbing will improve with time. On cheaper bikes though I've seen the low gearing isn't
    all that low. It might be worth looking into getting a smaller granny or a bigger cog on the
    rear. In the end though I think that it would be watsed money and a little climbing exercise
    will be the answer.

    Rob S.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.