Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Bike rack for town and country

Started by Surf guy · · Last activity · 3 posts · 3,761 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
7 January 2012
Last activity
8 January 2012
Original author
Surf guy
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,761
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My wife and I are new to cycling but are very excited to use different bike trails around the area. We have a 2008 Chrysler town and country that has factory rails and crossbars. We are looking for a mounting solution such as the Thule sidearm that will fit our factory crossbars. (the bikes and other accessories have wiped our bank account out.) we don't have a trailer hitch and would like to stay away from the racks that mount on the back hatch. Not having to remove the front bike tire would be a plus but not a requirement. Any suggestions??

  2. The T&C is a pretty tall vehicle which makes loading the top rack more difficult. Its not uncommon to damage bikes mounted on the roof when pulling vehicles into the garage. I am not sure why you would be adverse to a hitch mounted setup.

    I have an 05 T&C and installed a hitch myself. Its pretty easy; takes about an hour. I looked up your model on www.e-trailer.com, several custom fit hitches are available under $170.

    I use a Thule hitch mounted rack. I can swap this between my vehicles easily. I use a 1 1/4" opening, its barely noticeable.

  3. I'm with Maydog on this. I, too, have an '05 T&C. I bought a hitch from U-haul and installed it myself--took about 1/2 an hour (I do have a fair amount of experience wrenching on my own vehicles and those of friends). Then I bought a 3-bike rack from Amazon. The rack has a quick-release pin you can use to tilt the rack back to open the rear liftgate of the T&C.

    Here's the rack:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M4KXDM/ref=oh_o00_s00_i02_details

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.