UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bike Fit - Some Opinions?

Started by K-Paws · · Last activity · 4 posts · 225 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
12 November 2006
Last activity
13 November 2006
Original author
K-Paws
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
225
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have several bikes. My 'A' bikes are both size 63 Trek 2000's, one from
    around 1999 and the other an 06. I really do love riding both of them,
    despite my ineptitude at adjusting Shimano derailleurs, (only matched by my
    LBS). The Treks, as most Treks tend to be, are very traditional geometry.

    For a winter bike (as I have become more keen on riding recently), I thought
    I would buy a Specialized Allez, sized 61, it seemed like good value and it
    does look very nice indeed. Can't be that much difference I thought. I feel
    every bit as comfortable on the Allez, perhaps more so, but I can't generate
    ANY power or speed on the brute, it's horrific. I can get up to my
    theoretical maximum HR and it still feel as if the axles tied to a heavy
    weight or something.

    I intend to have it's perfectly acceptable components relocated to a
    'traditional' frame, but I am so stumped by this. It just shouldn't be this
    bad. Every now and then I think I will try it again, it will be better this
    time. But, no it isn't, it's hell itself. Any thoughts I am just amazed
    there's such a big difference.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>

    K-Paws said:

    I have several bikes. My 'A' bikes are both size 63 Trek 2000's, one from
    around 1999 and the other an 06. I really do love riding both of them,
    despite my ineptitude at adjusting Shimano derailleurs, (only matched by my
    LBS). The Treks, as most Treks tend to be, are very traditional geometry.

    For a winter bike (as I have become more keen on riding recently), I thought
    I would buy a Specialized Allez, sized 61, it seemed like good value and it
    does look very nice indeed. Can't be that much difference I thought. I feel
    every bit as comfortable on the Allez, perhaps more so, but I can't generate
    ANY power or speed on the brute, it's horrific. I can get up to my
    theoretical maximum HR and it still feel as if the axles tied to a heavy
    weight or something.

    I intend to have it's perfectly acceptable components relocated to a
    'traditional' frame, but I am so stumped by this. It just shouldn't be this
    bad. Every now and then I think I will try it again, it will be better this
    time. But, no it isn't, it's hell itself. Any thoughts I am just amazed
    there's such a big difference.


    Put the bikes next to each other so the bottom brackets are lined up -
    what's in a different place? Stand each bike up with the near pedal at
    the bottom, holding the saddle and handlebars, and gently push the pedal
    away from you with your foot - is one of the frames significantly easier
    to spring? Put the Trek wheels on the Allez - does it ride better?

  3. K-Paws said:

    Any thoughts I am just amazed
    there's such a big difference.

    I've always found it really difficult to set up different bikes so that
    they feel the same when you ride them, even if you get all the main
    dimensions the same.

    Check the following on the Specialized and adjust as far as possible to
    get near the Trek geometry that you are obviously happier with. You'll
    need a spirit level and plumb-line (ie bit of string with a weight on
    the end) to measure accurately:

    - saddle height above centre of bottom bracket
    - saddle nose distance behind centre of bottom bracket
    - height of saddle above top of handlebars (easy to alter unless you've
    already cut your Aheadset forks too short - DOOH!)
    - reach from nose of saddle to centre of handlebars (may need to alter
    stem for a longer or shorter one)

    Also check the cranks are the same length as this can make a fair bit
    of difference to the feel of a bike.

    If the Specialized still feels "dead", maybe it's just the frame
    stiffness (or lack of) or the frame angles that feels odd compared to
    the Trek. Not much you can do about that but change the frame.
    Generally, a stiffer frame with more upright seat tube geometry will
    feel faster but give a harsher ride.

  4. in message <[email hidden]>, K-Paws

    (') said:

    I have several bikes. My 'A' bikes are both size 63 Trek 2000's, one from
    around 1999 and the other an 06. I really do love riding both of them,
    despite my ineptitude at adjusting Shimano derailleurs, (only matched by
    my LBS). The Treks, as most Treks tend to be, are very traditional
    geometry.

    For a winter bike (as I have become more keen on riding recently), I
    thought I would buy a Specialized Allez, sized 61, it seemed like good
    value and it does look very nice indeed. Can't be that much difference I
    thought. I feel every bit as comfortable on the Allez, perhaps more so,
    but I can't generate ANY power or speed on the brute, it's horrific. I
    can get up to my theoretical maximum HR and it still feel as if the axles
    tied to a heavy weight or something.

    I intend to have it's perfectly acceptable components relocated to a
    'traditional' frame, but I am so stumped by this. It just shouldn't be
    this bad. Every now and then I think I will try it again, it will be
    better this time. But, no it isn't, it's hell itself. Any thoughts I am
    just amazed there's such a big difference.

    Where you touch the bike is the triangle saddle/bottom-bracket/bars. What's
    the difference in the dimensions of that triangle between the Allez and
    the Trek?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Windows 95:
    You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
    M. Jagger/K. Richards

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.