rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Big Apple sidewall cracks and excellent Schwalbe support

Started by U-Turn · · Last activity · 1 post · 402 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
7 July 2004
Last activity
7 July 2004
Original author
U-Turn
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
402
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all. Thought I would forward this exchange to you all. If you have
    purchased a Big Apple from me and are experiencing this problem please
    let me know.

    I went out for about an hour with my Big Apple today (see photo) and
    rode on pavement, over high speed-bumps, and the like with no problems.
    I don't think this is a safety issue but if you are concerned about it,
    contact your supplier and mention it to them.

    This exchange is a typical example of how easy it is to work with
    Schwalbe.

    Exchange follows:

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks very much for your email and for the details concerning the Big
    Apple.

    We are indeed aware of some of the BAs having sidewall cracks, but the
    issue was addressed and problem solved.

    While cracking sidewalls are a fairly "common" occurrence, they are a
    nuisance and we do our best to not have the problem arise; it is a
    problem with the heating of the rubber...sometimes too hot...sometimes
    too cool.

    Regardless, we are happy to replace the tires in question if you would
    like. I will simply need the style, size, quantity, and the serial
    number that is stamped on the inside of the tire.

    All of this information goes directly to Germany and our quality control
    managers take it from there.

    Fear not, the Big Apple is one of our top tires and we will have them
    for a long time.

    Thanks again for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to
    hearing back from you soon.

    Cheers!

    Celeste

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "David Stockton" <[email hidden]>
    To: "Celeste Steindl" <[email hidden]>
    Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 9:09 AM
    Subject: Big Apple 700c Sidewall cracks

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Celeste --

    You may remember me -- Dave Stockton from The Ordinary
    Bike Shop in CT. I've been placing Big Apples on
    unicycles for a while now but starting to notice
    sidewall cracks on my personal uni. This is
    light-moderate use with storage in a shed or in the
    car, typical inflation pressure about 55 psi. I've
    had this tire installed for a few months now, with
    little or no tread wear so far.

    I have noticed a less pronounced version of this on
    one customer's unicycle, but nothing so far on other
    tires, nor have I heard of this on the Internet.

    Is this a one-time thing, or a problem with the Big
    Apple in general? Would I expect to see the same on
    smaller Big Apple tires? If so, what recourse do I
    and my customers have?

    So far we really enjoy the Big Apple 700c for unicycle
    use -- it's a beautiful ride. It has become the road
    700c unicycle tire of choice. I hope it continues to
    be available, and I will continue to promote it as a
    great unicycle tire. However, if this cracking is a
    problem, we should fix the problem right away so that
    it can stay in that position.

    I've enclosed a couple of photos for your use.

    Thanks very much!

    -- Dave Stockton

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: bigapplesidewallcracks 005 (smaller).jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/222199|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.

    '29er Tire Study' (http://u-turn.unicyclist.com/29erTireStudy/)

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albup39)

    'New York Unicycle Club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33776

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.