UK and Europe · Public discussion

belleville rendezvous

Started by MartinM · · Last activity · 53 posts · 1,758 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 August 2005
Last activity
27 August 2005
Original author
MartinM
Posts
53
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,758
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 53
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. JohnB said:
    Carol Hague said:


    sean said:

    Using the dog's head for a wheel !!! ..................Up there with
    Chaplin eating his shoes in Cabin Fever. Definately one of the best
    films ever made. Exquisite.

    So it's just me and Rob who watched it and couldn't work out what all
    the fuss was about then? Not saying it was bad, mind, I've seen plenty
    worse, but we just didn't see whatever it was that everybody else seems
    to love about it.

    I think you might have to be of a certain age ,scabbles for brownie
    points>

    Here, have a brownie instead, fresh baked this afternoon.

    Actually this year I have achieved the Answer, which is probably more of
    an uncertain age...

    --
    Carol
    "How fleeting are all human passions when compared to the massive
    continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, _Gaudy Night_

  2. Carol Hague said:


    JohnB <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think you might have to be of a certain age ,scrabbles for brownie
    points>

    Here, have a brownie instead, fresh baked this afternoon.

    <wiggles ceegar>

    I'd prefer a girl guide ;-)

    John B

  3. sean said:


    dkahn400 said:
    Blonde said:

    Ace music too - the old birds singing are great,

    The Bach C Minor Prelude was the best of the music IMV, as well as
    being hilarious.

    Quoted message said:

    and the Grandma truing the wheel by plucking the spokes is
    cool too.

    As any wheel builder worth his salt will tell you, all you need to true
    a wheel is a spoke key, a tuning fork, and a model of the Eiffel Tower.
    Seriously though, I believe Sheldon at one time used a tape loop of a
    musical note as a reference for the correct spoke tension.

    --
    Dave...


    Was it from 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'......?

    Nah, "The Ring Cycle"

    Tim

  4. Tim Hall said:
    sean said:
    dkahn400 said:


    As any wheel builder worth his salt will tell you, all you need to true
    a wheel is a spoke key, a tuning fork, and a model of the Eiffel Tower.
    Seriously though, I believe Sheldon at one time used a tape loop of a
    musical note as a reference for the correct spoke tension.

    Was it from 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'......?

    Nah, "The Ring Cycle"

    I use 4min33s by John Cage. On a loop its perfect for a bit of
    wheelbuilding ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    Tim Hall said:
    sean said:

    dkahn400 wrote:
    >
    >As any wheel builder worth his salt will tell you, all you need to
    >true a wheel is a spoke key, a tuning fork, and a model of the Eiffel
    >Tower. Seriously though, I believe Sheldon at one time used a tape
    >loop of a musical note as a reference for the correct spoke tension.

    Was it from 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'......?

    Nah, "The Ring Cycle"

    I use 4min33s by John Cage. On a loop its perfect for a bit of
    wheelbuilding ;-)

    Do you? I have that as the sound track for my home page - but it's an
    unauthorised copy used without permission.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
    ;; the Worlock

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    Tim Hall said:

    On 25 Aug 2005 09:46:48 -0700, "sean" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >dkahn400 wrote:
    >>
    >>As any wheel builder worth his salt will tell you, all you need to
    >>true a wheel is a spoke key, a tuning fork, and a model of the Eiffel
    >>Tower. Seriously though, I believe Sheldon at one time used a tape
    >>loop of a musical note as a reference for the correct spoke tension.
    >
    >Was it from 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'......?

    Nah, "The Ring Cycle"

    I use 4min33s by John Cage. On a loop its perfect for a bit of
    wheelbuilding ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    Do you? I have that as the sound track for my home page - but it's an
    unauthorised copy used without permission.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
    ;; the Worlock

    Shuuuush ! I love this bit........
    Sean.

  7. Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Was it from 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'......?

    Nah, "The Ring Cycle"

    I use 4min33s by John Cage. On a loop its perfect for a bit of
    wheelbuilding ;-)

    Do you? I have that as the sound track for my home page - but it's an
    unauthorised copy used without permission.

    Ah, but you always were a bit batty.

    Graeme

  8. Carol Hague <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : So it's just me and Rob who watched it and couldn't work out what all
    : the fuss was about then?

    Yup. That'd be just you then.

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  9. Arthur Clune said:

    Carol Hague <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : So it's just me and Rob who watched it and couldn't work out what all
    : the fuss was about then?

    Yup. That'd be just you then.

    Mrs M wasn't impressed, but then it wasn't about DIY, Home buying or
    swearing chefs / children (or the latest one, Holiday Showdown,
    ungrateful buggers, get a free trip to Yosemite and winge about the
    lack of all you can eat buffets)

  10. Arthur Clune said:

    Carol Hague <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : So it's just me and Rob who watched it and couldn't work out what all
    : the fuss was about then?

    Yup. That'd be just you then.

    OK.

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    --
    Carol
    "How fleeting are all human passions when compared to the massive
    continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, _Gaudy Night_

  11. Carol Hague said:

    OK.

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    Look up the Far Side cartoon of the annual meeting of the "Didn't Like
    Dances With Wolves Society" :-) Can't remember which book it's in, but
    you should have them all... unless, of course, you /don't like The Far
    Side/ <shudder>

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Carol Hague said:

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    Not vastly over-rated, just utter [censored].

  13. Carol Hague <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    : and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    No. That's everyone I know as well (including me)

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  14. Arthur Clune said:

    Carol Hague <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    : and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    No. That's everyone I know as well (including me)

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

    <AOL> Mee too! </AOL>

    bloody awful film, got dragged to see it by my then gf, who loved it, we split up soon after :-)

    Bryan

  15. Carol Hague said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yup. That'd be just you then.

    OK.

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    I thought everybody thought it was corny, shallow and manipulative.

    I've stayed out of this discussion, because I can't bear to think about
    Belleville Rendezvous, which is a really remarkable film, a work of
    genius, but I don't know if I will ever be able to watch it again.

    They showed it on television at Christmas a couple of years ago. I
    recorded it over the only video tape we had of our children when they
    were babies. So now even the thought of it just fills me with a
    sickening feeling.

    Daniele
    --
    Apple Juice www.apple-juice.co.uk
    Chapter Arts Centre
    Market Road
    Cardiff CF5 1QE

  16. Carol Hague said:

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    Oh no you're not...

  17. "D.M. Procida" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They showed it on television at Christmas a couple of years ago. I
    recorded it over the only video tape we had of our children when they
    were babies. So now even the thought of it just fills me with a
    sickening feeling.

    I know it's a bit stable-doory, but there are little tabs on video tapes you
    can remove so they become read-only. If you've got tapes you're keen on
    keeping, like the above, then do this.

    cheers,
    clive

  18. D.M. Procida said:

    They showed it on television at Christmas a couple of years ago. I
    recorded it over the only video tape we had of our children when they
    were babies. So now even the thought of it just fills me with a
    sickening feeling.

    Ow.

    Much sympathy.

    --
    Carol
    "How fleeting are all human passions when compared to the massive
    continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, _Gaudy Night_

  19. "Carol Hague" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    OK.

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    No, on that one, you are correct. No doubt your integration into humans is
    rubbing off on your alien being ;-)

    Cheers, helen s
    (Nanu! Nanu!)

  20. in message <[email hidden]>, Simon Bennett

    (') said:
    Carol Hague said:

    We're probably the only people in the country who though Four Weddings
    and a Funeral" was vastly overrated too.

    Not vastly over-rated, just utter [censored].

    That's too far. Mildly entertaining on a wet afternoon, and with a great
    opening line. But not at all in the same league as Belleville.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ---===***<<< This space to let! >>>***===---
    Yes! You, too, can SPAM in the Famous Brooke Rotating .sig!
    ---===***<<< Only $300 per line >>>***===---

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.