Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Beginner Triathlete and Buying a Bike

Started by biggpigg · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,499 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 June 2005
Last activity
6 June 2005
Original author
biggpigg
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,499
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As the title suggests I'm a beginner triathlete looking to buy my first road bike (I'll put clip-on areobars... not ready for a time trial bike yet). I've done a bunch of marathons and I used to be a very competitive swimmer so, with a bit of training, I expect to have some pretty good finishes.

    I'm going to end up buying my bike used and am trying to keep my budget for the bike itself under $700. I've been fitted at 2 bike shops and both come out as 60cm.

    My big question I guess is whether an older bike such as this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7161503626&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    would be worth buying or if something newer like a Trek 1000 or a Felt F-80 (or 90) is far superior thos the older bikes.

    Remember - I'm just getting into this and I've never been a cyclist before. I'm not going to notice the differene between $100 gears or $500 gears, etc... nor do I care at this point about having cool stuff or looking the part. I'm also most likely not be going to be upgrading any components on whatever bike I buy.

    If I end up really liking the sport or cycling itself, I'll buy myself a new, really nice bike once I complete the 3 triathlons I'm currently signed up for over the next year. So again... is it actually worth my $700 or is something like the older bike going to do fine for me with little or no difference for a beginning rider?

  2. biggpigg said:

    My big question I guess is whether an older bike such as this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7161503626&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    would be worth buying or if something newer like a Trek 1000 or a Felt F-80 (or 90) is far superior thos the older bikes...


    I'd say if they buyer looks reputable, and it can be had for not much over the currend bid price (200 clams), go for it. That assumes also that you know it fits. You might have problems though that you'd need to sink more money into (new wheelset?, misc. stuff breaking) so it's a bit of a gamble...spending only a couple hundred isn't taking much risk.

    That said, there's a lot of value to getting the time and attention from a good fitting tech in a LBS, and having that relationship. The felts, or entry level treks/specializeds/giants might be a safer route.

  3. I live close enough by the guy in the eBay auction that I would drive down and take a look at it (and save on shipping costs 🙂).

    But there's not going to be a significantdifference (for a beginner rider) between that bike and say a 2003-2005?

  4. biggpigg said:

    As the title suggests I'm a beginner triathlete looking to buy my first road bike (I'll put clip-on areobars... not ready for a time trial bike yet). I've done a bunch of marathons and I used to be a very competitive swimmer so, with a bit of training, I expect to have some pretty good finishes.

    I'm going to end up buying my bike used and am trying to keep my budget for the bike itself under $700. I've been fitted at 2 bike shops and both come out as 60cm.

    My big question I guess is whether an older bike such as this:
    cgi.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

    would be worth buying or if something newer like a Trek 1000 or a Felt F-80 (or 90) is far superior thos the older bikes.

    Remember - I'm just getting into this and I've never been a cyclist before. I'm not going to notice the differene between $100 gears or $500 gears, etc... nor do I care at this point about having cool stuff or looking the part. I'm also most likely not be going to be upgrading any components on whatever bike I buy.

    If I end up really liking the sport or cycling itself, I'll buy myself a new, really nice bike once I complete the 3 triathlons I'm currently signed up for over the next year. So again... is it actually worth my $700 or is something like the older bike going to do fine for me with little or no difference for a beginning rider?

    I hate to say this, but try looking at Motobecane's tt bike. Motobecanes and Merciers are now being sold via internet only, and at very reasonable prices. You can find them and other names at www.bikesdirect.com

    bikesdirect.comnemesis.htm

    Best of Luck

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.