UK and Europe · Public discussion

Be kind to your bike

Started by Tim Hall · · Last activity · 2 posts · 303 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 February 2008
Last activity
4 February 2008
Original author
Tim Hall
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
303
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This weekend saw me on the Worthing Winter Warmer - a 100km audax with
    an ascent of Blackdown Hill near Haslemere as its highpoint. El
    Supremo was waiting in the car park with coffee and Stollen.

    Seeing as last year I had to ascend it on the middle ring, I finally
    got round to fettling the bike, so it would change down when I wanted
    to, and not some weeks later.

    One set of gear cables and outers were duly fitted Thursday night.
    Blimey, what a difference - I thought I'd forgotten to connect
    something, so light was the gear changy action.

    Counting back, it seems the ones that were replaced had been on the
    bike for 5 years and the deterioration in performance had been very
    gradual. I spent most of the ride changing gear with one finger,just
    becaue I could.

    So get out to the garage tonight. Carry out an act of random kindness
    on your bike.

    --

    Tim

    I understand very little of what's being discussed
    but for some reason it's fascinating.

    (Jon Thompson, urs)

  2. Tim Hall said:

    So get out to the garage tonight. Carry out an act of random kindness
    on your bike.

    I notice it most on the brake cables as I'm large and tend to
    accelerate hard and brake hard. A good tell tale is when you've just
    changed brake pads and you know they're perfectly adjusted but they're
    not working any better than before.
    My front gears are incredibly heavy to change but I know the cable is
    full of crud and pretty buggered, I can still get into all 3
    chainrings and it is such as b**ch to adjust that I'm putting it off
    as long as possible. I'm riding it as a single speed anyway at the
    moment ;o)

    peter

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.