Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Bang for buck with a new bike?

Started by Micheal Artindale · · Last activity · 4 posts · 684 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
27 March 2008
Last activity
2 April 2008
Original author
Micheal Artindale
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
684
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I will be looking at getting a new mtn bike this spring. I will be spending
    somewhere between $500-1500.

    What I was wondering is if you take a price of $1000, and look at bikes from
    all major compaines at that price, will there be much of a difference if you
    go for the same style, ie, downhill, xc....?

    Thanks

    Micheal

  2. On Mar 27, 5:04 pm, "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I will be looking at getting a new mtn bike this spring. I will be spending
    somewhere between $500-1500.

    What I was wondering is if you take a price of $1000, and look at bikes from
    all major compaines at that price, will there be much of a difference if you
    go for the same style, ie, downhill, xc....?

    Thanks

    Micheal

    For a $1000 you're looking for the best frame you can get with maybe
    lower end components. For example the Specialized BigHit is $2900 with
    quality components and $1750 with lower quality components, but uses
    the same frame. You're going to break and wear out components anyway
    so you can upgrade over time.

    The major companies are all competing very closly so there's not alot
    of difference in pricing. Look at some of the slighty small companies
    (mongoose, jamis, scott) as you may get a better deal there.

    Don't buy an '08, but a new unsold '07 or even '06 bike.

    For a $1000 you going to get a...

    low end DH bike
    mid to low end XC bike
    nice single speed rigid.

    Best of luck looking.

    Marz

  3. Per Micheal Artindale:

    Quoted message said:

    I will be looking at getting a new mtn bike this spring. I will be spending
    somewhere between $500-1500.

    What I was wondering is if you take a price of $1000

    My take is that the best bang for the buck would be a used bike
    if you could find one that's appropriate.

    When I think of the baths I've taken when selling bikes that
    didn't fit me, it's almost pathetic.....

    Only catches are that you have to know what you are looking
    for... and you have to find it.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. "(PeteCresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    My take is that the best bang for the buck would be a used bike
    if you could find one that's appropriate.

    When I think of the baths I've taken when selling bikes that
    didn't fit me, it's almost pathetic.....

    Only catches are that you have to know what you are looking
    for... and you have to find it.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    What he said. I've given up buying new, but I'm cheap and don't mind
    working on stuff to get it right. When I've sold bikes, I've tried to make
    sure they go to somebody who gives me a good feeling about the deal, because
    certainly I've taken a "bath" as Pete says.

    On the buying side, I was amazed to chat with a lady in our neighborhood the
    other day and find out she had just purchased a Cannondale Rush from a local
    retail outlet. I asked her if she intended to take up serious riding, and
    she replied that she just wanted to ride some rougher "walking" trails in
    comfort and was told this was just the ticket. I can only assume the
    salesman told her about the ticket, but I don't know that for sure. She is
    a sweet lady, but off-roading is NOT her style.

    I expect that bike will be on the market next year to clear out the garage.
    Regardless of your opinion of Cannondale (or other major brands), it will be
    a screamin' deal for somebody, at least compared to retail.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.