Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Axle size 130 hub to 135 frame

Started by ADAM MALCHOW · · Last activity · 3 posts · 316 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 July 2004
Last activity
22 July 2004
Original author
ADAM MALCHOW
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
316
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I am new to the road bike upgrading and technical stuff, having only been
    introduced to biking two years ago but am totally dedicated to the sport.

    Currently I have a Giant OCR Touring. It is great for hauling my 210lb body
    around on paved though rough country roads. However, it has disc brakes,
    which are great for starting a conversation, really have only been OK
    otherwise. The rims allow for only a minimum tire width of 28. I would
    like to go down to a 700x25 tire. What I am considering is putting on road
    caliper brakes. I am looking for a good stopping one that is inexpensive.
    I am not a name brand only type person, so any brand will do. I would then
    be looking to buy a new wheelset. I would also appreciate a recommendation
    here also. The current rear axle spacing is 135mm. I see that most road
    sets have a rear spacing of 130mm. My question is how can I make this work?

    I would imagine this has been covered before but I would really appreciate
    any help.

    Thanks

  2. ADAM MALCHOW said:

    What I am considering is putting on road
    caliper brakes. I am looking for a good stopping one that is inexpensive.
    I am not a name brand only type person, so any brand will do. I would then
    be looking to buy a new wheelset. I would also appreciate a recommendation
    here also. The current rear axle spacing is 135mm. I see that most road
    sets have a rear spacing of 130mm. My question is how can I make this work?

    I would imagine this has been covered before but I would really appreciate
    any help.

    If you have mounting holes for caliper brakes, dual caliper brakes
    with pads like Kool Stop salmon work great.

    Should you use 130 mm rear hubs, they can be spaced out to 132.5 and
    will work fine. Should they be respaced to 135, you may need an axel
    change.

  3. ADAM MALCHOW said:

    Hi,

    I am new to the road bike upgrading and technical stuff, having only been
    introduced to biking two years ago but am totally dedicated to the sport.

    Currently I have a Giant OCR Touring. It is great for hauling my 210lb body
    around on paved though rough country roads. However, it has disc brakes,
    which are great for starting a conversation, really have only been OK
    otherwise. The rims allow for only a minimum tire width of 28. I would
    like to go down to a 700x25 tire. What I am considering is putting on road
    caliper brakes. I am looking for a good stopping one that is inexpensive.
    I am not a name brand only type person, so any brand will do. I would then
    be looking to buy a new wheelset. I would also appreciate a recommendation
    here also. The current rear axle spacing is 135mm. I see that most road
    sets have a rear spacing of 130mm. My question is how can I make this work?

    You can get a wheel built using a 135 spaced hub and a 700c rim. This
    is a pretty common build for touring bikes. Shimano XT and Torelli
    Master rim would be a nice combo for your riding.

    Although I wonder- why get rid of the 28s? For rough roads, that is a
    good size.

    I bought a set of Tektro dual pivot road brakes and they are fine. I
    think the set was $45 or so. I have some Shimano RSX brakes on another
    bike and would consider them better, but this is minor. I am not going
    to go out of my way to replace the Tektros. Though I did immediately
    replace the pads- Koolstop salmons.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.