General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Australia and Banana crop

Started by limey · · Last activity · 5 posts · 242 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 March 2006
Last activity
24 March 2006
Original author
limey
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
242
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. May we start a new thread, please? The old one started out as "Asparagus"
    then morphed several times to the point where the thread is really long.

    Phred - did you by any chance read my post to you? I wondered how long it
    took for a banana tree to grow from planting size to maturity and bear
    fruit. I visualize the farmers and workers will be hurting for quite a long
    time.

    Dora

    --
    [email hidden]

  2. "limey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    May we start a new thread, please? The old one started out as "Asparagus"
    then morphed several times to the point where the thread is really long.

    Phred - did you by any chance read my post to you? I wondered how long it
    took for a banana tree to grow from planting size to maturity and bear
    fruit. I visualize the farmers and workers will be hurting for quite a
    long time.

    Dora

    --
    [email hidden]


    When I read the Aussie papers they said that the sugar cane and banana
    farmers would not be able to produce for at least 18 months.
    Janet

  3. In article said:

    May we start a new thread, please? The old one started out as "Asparagus"
    then morphed several times to the point where the thread is really long.

    Okay. But I thought changing the subject line would help. It hasn't
    been a problem with my old News Xpress, but maybe your MSOE isn't up
    to the task. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Phred - did you by any chance read my post to you? I wondered how long it
    took for a banana tree to grow from planting size to maturity and bear
    fruit. I visualize the farmers and workers will be hurting for quite a long
    time.

    I tried to find something definitive about this on www.dpi.qld.gov.au
    last night, Dora, but the nearest I got to it was some blurb about a
    handbook they will sell to you for about $100. :-(

    <rant>
    Without putting too fine a point on it, the attitude of the Qld Govt
    WRT public info is really pissing me off. Tax payers have "bought"
    this sort of research-based info over the past 100+ years and now the
    bloody government wants to sell it to us again! Premier Pete's "Smart
    State" -- wotta friggin' larf!
    </rant>

    The best I could glean from some of my horti mates is that sucker
    regrowth could be back in production within about 6 months in the
    humid tropics like the Innisfail/Tully districts. Where replanting is
    needed it will take some months longer. It is still unclear how much
    replanting will be needed and how much can simply be "ratooned" from
    sucker growth. Full supply is not expected again until March 2007.

    Even with "only" twelve months there will be major problems beyond the
    immediate financial impacts on the farmers -- things like the loss of
    key staff and the impact on the necessary support industries such as
    transport and services. Once these close down, it can be hard to get
    them up to speed again.

    On a brighter note, cyclones in North Queensland help keep small scale
    NSW producers viable through the consequential price increases. Those
    New South Welchmen will stand to do pretty well out of a big one
    like Larry -- but it sounds like a bugger of a way to run a business!

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email hidden]

  4. "Phred" wrote

    limey said:
    Quoted message said:

    May we start a new thread, please? The old one started out as "Asparagus"
    then morphed several times to the point where the thread is really long.

    Okay. But I thought changing the subject line would help. It hasn't
    been a problem with my old News Xpress, but maybe your MSOE isn't up
    to the task. ;-)

    Rueful grin. I really can't ask OE to do what's
    apparently impossible for them. Or else I'm not computer savvy enough to
    break up the thread.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Phred - did you by any chance read my post to you? I wondered how long it
    took for a banana tree to grow from planting size to maturity and bear
    fruit. I visualize the farmers and workers will be hurting for quite a
    long
    time.

    I tried to find something definitive about this on www.dpi.qld.gov.au
    last night, Dora, but the nearest I got to it was some blurb about a
    handbook they will sell to you for about $100. :-(

    <rant>
    Without putting too fine a point on it, the attitude of the Qld Govt
    WRT public info is really pissing me off. Tax payers have "bought"
    this sort of research-based info over the past 100+ years and now the
    bloody government wants to sell it to us again! Premier Pete's "Smart
    State" -- wotta friggin' larf!
    </rant>

    The best I could glean from some of my horti mates is that sucker
    regrowth could be back in production within about 6 months in the
    humid tropics like the Innisfail/Tully districts. Where replanting is
    needed it will take some months longer. It is still unclear how much
    replanting will be needed and how much can simply be "ratooned" from
    sucker growth. Full supply is not expected again until March 2007.

    Even with "only" twelve months there will be major problems beyond the
    immediate financial impacts on the farmers -- things like the loss of
    key staff and the impact on the necessary support industries such as
    transport and services. Once these close down, it can be hard to get
    them up to speed again.

    On a brighter note, cyclones in North Queensland help keep small scale
    NSW producers viable through the consequential price increases. Those
    New South Welchmen will stand to do pretty well out of a big one
    like Larry -- but it sounds like a bugger of a way to run a business!

    Cheers, Phred.

    At least it takes the crop a much shorter time to recover than I had
    visualized but, as you say, the delay doesn't help workers and the support
    industries.

    My sympathies about the Aussie government. We share similar problems here.
    Why does inertia strike officials once they gain office? (You don't want to
    hear my rant. ;-((

    Take care, Phred, Rhonda and Peter.

    Dora

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Phred) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Phred - did you by any chance read my post to you? I wondered how long it
    took for a banana tree to grow from planting size to maturity and bear
    fruit. I visualize the farmers and workers will be hurting for quite a long
    time.

    The best I could glean from some of my horti mates is that sucker
    regrowth could be back in production within about 6 months in the
    humid tropics like the Innisfail/Tully districts. Where replanting is
    needed it will take some months longer. It is still unclear how much
    replanting will be needed and how much can simply be "ratooned" from
    sucker growth. Full supply is not expected again until March 2007.

    ABC news said about 9 months from planting -- but I don't suppose people are
    out planting when their houses are in ruins, and it's probably too wet to
    plant anyway.

    In Sydney, it takes up to 18 months to get a bunch of bananas from a sucker
    (well, I'm growing sugar bananas, not Cavendishes).

    --
    Chookie -- Sydney, Australia
    (Replace "foulspambegone" with "optushome" to reply)

    "... if *I* was buying a baby I'd jolly well make sure it was at
    least a two-tooth!"
    Mary Grant Bruce, The Houses of the Eagle.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.