Rob said:Does anyone have any experiences with doing the low carb dieting and
exercising? I did the low carb 2 years ago, made through 6 months lost
35 pounds but started getting major carb cravings, changed jobs, and
other life events and stopped. I am going to start again, but I want
to know how I can expect it to affect my lifting (I lift ~3-4 times a
week) and cardio. I expect I will shed pounds much faster, but what
about muscle loss? What intensity of exercise is too much? given the
lack of carbs in your blood stream?
I have read some different articles about it, but wanted to know if
anyone had any personal experieces?
Personal experience:
I started LCing around when the Taubes article came out (around August of
'02); lost ~60lbs and maintained the loss. I wasn't doing formal exercise
at the time, but I didn't own a car, and so I walked a *lot* and did quite
a bit of heavy carrying (the down side of drinking soda is that you have
to carry it home). Spring of '04 I started getting more serious about
doing cardio. At the beginning I was pretty pathetic, but it didn't take
long to ramp up to the point where I was comfortable doing an hour on the
elliptical at a rate of 6mph.
At the beginning of the summer, I started working w/ a personal trainer.
As part of the initial evaluation, she commented that I was unusually
cardio fit for my non-athletic background (I could keep talking long past
the point that most people would be too winded). I had one experience of
overreaching at the beginning (I just pushed too hard), but other than
that, have had no problems making steady progress. At the end of each
workout, I know that I've put a good bit of effort into it, but I've never
run out of energy such that I had to stop or ask to go easier.
I haven't written down my weights, but they are getting progressively
higher (unlike some women, my preference is to lift heavy as I'm not in
the least concerned that I'll get <hyooog!>.
If you start exercising at the same time you start lowcarbing, your
induction flu might be a little rougher than otherwise, but as long as you
ease into it, my experience suggests you should be fine.
Martha
--