Professional Cycling · Public discussion

Astana get Grand Tour Invites

Started by foxvi · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,260 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Professional Cycling
Published
14 December 2006
Last activity
14 December 2006
Original author
foxvi
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,260
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. From Eurosport :

    Astana will ride in the three Grand Tours in 2007 with or without a ProTour license Tour de France organisers ASO told Astana team manager Mario Kummer.
    Jean-Francois Pescheux, the head of the ASO, told Kummer his squad are assured of a place in the Giro, the Tour, and the Vuelta a Espana, Belgian newspaper Sportwereled reported on their website on Thursday.

    Though the International Cycling Union (UCI) have said that the Kazakh-Swiss team, led by Vuelta champion Alexandre Vinokourov, will not get a ProTour license, Walter Godefroot held out hope.

    "There was indeed that negative recommendation of the license commission, but at that time our filing was not complete. Now it is," the Astana boss said.

    "It would be logical that Astana receives ProTour status. We fulfil all the conditions."

    UCI Chairman Pat McQuaid said that Astana had no chance for the license after their initial rejection, but Godefroot dismissed the suggestion.

    "McQuaid has only been in charge for one year. Maybe he still needs to learn his job."

    In addition to Vinokourov, Astana's roster for 2007 includes Vuelta third-place finisher Andrey Kashechkin, Tour de France third-place finisher Andreas Klöden, and former Giro D'Italia victor Paolo Savoldelli.

    So thats that as predicted - but who are Astana - at the moment there is the Mark Biver group, Kloden, Kessler, Ivanov, Mazzoleni, Savoldelli, and the Active Bay lot, Vino, Contador, Beloki, Davis, Jaksche, Nozal, Kasheckin and probably 8 others - will it merge into one team?

    I do like the classic remark from Godefroot about McQuaid - the UCI just have no respect left. And what about Unibet and Barloworld - still no announcement on their status....

  2. Hmmmm, who would have thought this would happen. Two teams ,one with Vino as the leader and the other with Ul...... I mean Kloden.

  3. jhuskey said:

    Hmmmm, who would have thought this would happen. Two teams ,one with Vino as the leader and the other with Ul...... I mean Kloden.


    Um so lots of meetings in the last few days I guess.

    Its official - its been the hottest year in the UK since records began! Mild 12 degrees today but I am not keen on going out in the dark on my bike at the moment as you may have seen there is a 'serial killer' loose at the moment, killed 5 'working girls' in 10 days in a town about 40kms away .... so being safe.

  4. foxvi said:

    Um so lots of meetings in the last few days I guess.

    Its official - its been the hottest year in the UK since records began! Mild 12 degrees today but I am not keen on going out in the dark on my bike at the moment as you may have seen there is a 'serial killer' loose at the moment, killed 5 'working girls' in 10 days in a town about 40kms away .... so being safe.

    Very warm here again but I will need to wait for the weekend to go on the road. Not enough daylight in the evening but good new that the doctor cleared me to ski again on my bad knee.
    I plan to do a ride on Saturday and Sunday and next week it will get cold again so I will make the best of the record highs.
    I heard about this "modern day Jack the Ripper".

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.