UK and Europe · Public discussion

Arsenal shirt saved his life!

Started by Tony Raven · · Last activity · 2 posts · 245 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
21 May 2006
Last activity
21 May 2006
Original author
Tony Raven
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
245
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I pulled this from a post in another thread where it is probably lost to
    most but avows to the life saving potential of a simple cotton cycling cap:

    http://tinyurl.com/h6jl7

    Footy strip saves boy's life

    May 14 2006

    By The Sunday Sun

    A youngster has spoken for the first time about how his Arsenal shirt
    saved his life when he was impaled on a metal spike.

    The spike pierced 10-year-old John Hough's chest, just missing his heart
    and lungs, but did not penetrate the plum-coloured shirt.

    Doctors said the shirt stopped the spike going deeper and damaging vital
    organs.

    John was yesterday recovering at home in Thorney Close, Sunderland.

    He said: "It shows I was right to support Arsenal. If I was wearing a
    normal T-shirt, I probably would be dead.

    "The doctor said if the top had ripped, the spike would definitely have
    gone in deeper and I could have died.

    "It would have stabbed my lungs and maybe my heart."

    His mother, Jackie McGlade, said John had been in a friend's garden when
    he climbed the fence to look at a trampoline next door.

    He pulled himself off the spike while friends ran for Jackie.

    She said: "It doesn't bear thinking about. The doctors said he was very
    lucky not to have damaged a vital organ.

    "If the spike had gone in any further, it would have damaged his lungs
    and heart. He could've been killed and, if he hadn't been wearing his
    Arsenal strip, he probably would have.

    "When I looked at the shirt afterwards I could not believe it. It hadn't
    been torn, there was just a little dent in it and blood where the spike
    had gone through but, amazingly, it was still in one piece."

    John is fanatical about Thierry Henry. He said: "I've supported Arsenal
    since I was eight years old and my favourite player is Henry.

    "Most of my friends support Sunderland, but I like Arsenal because they
    are better.

    "My mam and dad bought me one of the special plum-coloured strips for
    Christmas. It doesn't have a name on it but I'd like Henry's name to be
    on the back.

    "The only thing wrong with the shirt was there was blood on it and a
    dint where the spike stretched it.

    "But my Mam put it through the wash and it is back to normal, as good as
    new. It must be really good quality."

    John, a pupil at Farringdon Primary School, will be wearing the top on
    Wednesday, when, with his four-year-old brother, Liam, he will be
    watching his team take on Barcelona in the Champions League Final on TV.

    Jackie said: "He's just like any other little boy and likes climbing.

    "He was looking in the garden next door, because they have a trampoline,
    but in the excitement he stumbled and landed on the spike.

    "I was frantic when I found him because you could see right through the
    wound and some of his flesh was hanging out.

    "The first thing he said when he came round from his operation was:
    `Mam, I can't believe my Arsenal strip is ruined'. But it wasn't and it
    saved his life."

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  2. Tony Raven said:

    I pulled this from a post in another thread where it is probably lost
    to most but avows to the life saving potential of a simple cotton
    cycling cap:

    Yeah, anyone with a brain would have killfiled that thread by now.

    Unfortunately, I keep on going back for punishment.
    --
    Ambrose

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.