Road Cycling · Public discussion

ARMSTRONG is to ANQUETIL as...

Started by 52TeethNoCavities · · Last activity · 5 posts · 616 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
3 July 2004
Last activity
4 July 2004
Original author
52TeethNoCavities
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
616
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ....ULLRICH is to POULIDOR. Yeah, I know, it's not a perfect comparison.
    Ullrich won once, Poulidor did not. But you know, Anquetil and Armstrong
    both have/had an inner all-comsuming desire to win, while Poulidor and
    Ullrich both were/are apparently not as driven internally.

    Based on Armstrong's and Ullrich's respective rides in the Prologue today,
    I have to think the 2004 Tour may well turn out to add to the
    Ullrich/Poulidor comparison. I mean, Armstrong was a man obsessed and just
    obliterated Ullrich. And this was a 6km TT -- that's supposed to be
    Ullrich's strong suit!

    It's a long three weeks ahead and anything can happen... but Armstrong
    looks much stronger than last year, with a more muscular physique. The
    gauntlet has been thrown.

  2. "52TeethNoCavities" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...ULLRICH is to POULIDOR. Yeah, I know, it's not a perfect comparison.
    Ullrich won once, Poulidor did not. But you know, Anquetil and Armstrong
    both have/had an inner all-comsuming desire to win, while Poulidor and
    Ullrich both were/are apparently not as driven internally.

    Based on Armstrong's and Ullrich's respective rides in the Prologue today,
    I have to think the 2004 Tour may well turn out to add to the
    Ullrich/Poulidor comparison. I mean, Armstrong was a man obsessed and just
    obliterated Ullrich. And this was a 6km TT -- that's supposed to be
    Ullrich's strong suit!

    Huh? Ullrich was 4th last year, 4th in 2001, 4th in 2000, I could go on, but
    exactly what gave you the idea that he specialized in spooky short sharp
    turning TT's inside cities? Apparently he must strike you as being
    extraordinarily stupid.

  3. "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "52TeethNoCavities" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...ULLRICH is to POULIDOR. Yeah, I know, it's not a perfect
    comparison. Ullrich won once, Poulidor did not. But you know,
    Anquetil and Armstrong both have/had an inner all-comsuming desire to
    win, while Poulidor and Ullrich both were/are apparently not as
    driven internally.

    Based on Armstrong's and Ullrich's respective rides in the Prologue
    today, I have to think the 2004 Tour may well turn out to add to the
    Ullrich/Poulidor comparison. I mean, Armstrong was a man obsessed and
    just obliterated Ullrich. And this was a 6km TT -- that's supposed to
    be Ullrich's strong suit!

    Huh? Ullrich was 4th last year, 4th in 2001, 4th in 2000, I could go
    on, but exactly what gave you the idea that he specialized in spooky
    short sharp turning TT's inside cities?

    Jan's always been known as a strong TT rider. He's beaten L.A. at some
    notable TT's, such as 2003 TdF Stage 12 at Gaillac and the Men's TT at
    the 2000 TT. Are you suggesting the only reason Jan lost the Prologue is
    because it was too short?

    Quoted message said:

    Apparently he must strike you
    as being extraordinarily stupid.

    No, I think Jan Ullrich is a very good cyclist. The only stupidity I'm
    aware of is the 6 month suspension for drugs, which he himself admitted
    was a one-time "idiotic" mistake.

    I'm just wondering why Ullrich didn't do well in the Prologue TT.
    Conserving energy for later? Did he think LA would throttle back, so JU
    could afford to as well? Or maybe JU just isn't in peak condition...

    We'll see soon enough. Stage 13 will be huge in this race.

  4. 52TeethNoCavities said:


    I'm just wondering why Ullrich didn't do well in the Prologue TT.
    Conserving energy for later? Did he think LA would throttle back, so JU
    could afford to as well? Or maybe JU just isn't in peak condition...


    And the explanation that he just didn't want to risk a crash as in his
    last Tour TT is not good enough for you?

  5. "52TeethNoCavities" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "52TeethNoCavities" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...ULLRICH is to POULIDOR. Yeah, I know, it's not a perfect
    comparison. Ullrich won once, Poulidor did not. But you know,
    Anquetil and Armstrong both have/had an inner all-comsuming desire to
    win, while Poulidor and Ullrich both were/are apparently not as
    driven internally.

    Based on Armstrong's and Ullrich's respective rides in the Prologue
    today, I have to think the 2004 Tour may well turn out to add to the
    Ullrich/Poulidor comparison. I mean, Armstrong was a man obsessed and
    just obliterated Ullrich. And this was a 6km TT -- that's supposed to
    be Ullrich's strong suit!

    Huh? Ullrich was 4th last year, 4th in 2001, 4th in 2000, I could go
    on, but exactly what gave you the idea that he specialized in spooky
    short sharp turning TT's inside cities?

    Jan's always been known as a strong TT rider. He's beaten L.A. at some
    notable TT's, such as 2003 TdF Stage 12 at Gaillac and the Men's TT at
    the 2000 TT. Are you suggesting the only reason Jan lost the Prologue is
    because it was too short?

    Jan is a big rider that likes to ride really big gears. That usually means
    that he doesn't accelerate really well even though he is probably the most
    powerful TT rider out there. Prologues, which are too short for Jan to
    really strut his stuff leave him looking a bit slow even though he is really
    strong.

    So, yes, the main reason that Jan doesn't win Prologues is because they are
    too short and sharp for his style of riding.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Apparently he must strike you
    as being extraordinarily stupid.

    No, I think Jan Ullrich is a very good cyclist. The only stupidity I'm
    aware of is the 6 month suspension for drugs, which he himself admitted
    was a one-time "idiotic" mistake.

    Jan is young. We tend to forget that when you think that he's been racing
    bicycles for 15 or more years.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm just wondering why Ullrich didn't do well in the Prologue TT.
    Conserving energy for later? Did he think LA would throttle back, so JU
    could afford to as well? Or maybe JU just isn't in peak condition...

    We'll see soon enough. Stage 13 will be huge in this race.

    I don't believe that Jan will be significantly better than Armstrong
    anywhere in this Tour. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if Jan did beat
    Lance by some small amount in the flat TT on the next to final day.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.