It's not the width that matters, but the shape.
To see what I mean by "shape" (or "profile) look at a car tyre and a
motorcycle tyre.
A car tyre has a wide flat rolling surface. A motorcycle tyre has a
rounded cross section. When a motorcycle leans, the curve of the tyre
makes the transition smooth, and there is a fairly constant amount of
rubber touching the road at each angle of lean. If you put a car-style
tyre on a motorcycle, as you started to lean, the tyre would deform,
unless it was pumped up to such a high pressure that it couldn't - in
which case, you'd be riding on an edge.
When you ride a unicycle, you need to "wobble" or "weave" just a little
bit to maintain side to side balance. The better you are, the less you
need to weave, but it's still there.
My Gazz 2.3" tyre has a very square cross section and can be horrible to
ride. The tyre on my 20 is similar. The ultra skinny tyre on my 700c
is very rounded, and steers like a dream. The Coker 2.5" tyre is very
rounded and also steers easily.
I've attached a rather crude Paint diagram to illustrate.
As for recommending a particular tyre, I leave that to the experts.
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Attachment filename: tyre sections.bmp |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/362922|
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling
So, do you ride with a club?
No, but I carry a heavy spanner.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43354