Women's Cycling · Public discussion

Anyone else have prob w/ Rapidfire shifters?

Started by roguedog · · Last activity · 4 posts · 2,030 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Women's Cycling
Published
30 July 2006
Last activity
31 July 2006
Original author
roguedog
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,030
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Have been out testing road bikes of various sorts.

    At first when I tried a couple bike with the Rapidfire shifters I thought it was just me needing to get used to them since I"m used to the Gripshifts.

    But after a few and paying more attention, it seems that these were designed for folks with bigger hands or something. When I try to shift I only get like halfway unless I totally twist my hand(s) so that my thumb can totally push the shifter forward.

    Does anyone else who's smaller have this issue? Funny thing is that I don't think my hands are that small. I think they're big in proportion to my size. And they're not.. delicate after many years of playing softball, weight lifting etc..

    Anyway, just wondering. I'm just finding that I may like flatbar bikes but the shifters kinda drive me crazy which makes me lean towards drops.

  2. You might want to try rotating the shifters a bit so you get a different angle of grip. Sounds like they may be mounted too "flat".

  3. Position on the bar is important, as matagi suggests.

    Some of the cheaper combo MTB sets, EF29, EF50, are a little difficult, particularly on the left, middle to big ring shift.

    The Road Flat Bar Shifters, SL-R220/223, SL-R440/660/770 are easier to shift and the SL-R440/660/770 can be rotated on the bars independantly of the brake levers.

  4. I also have a problem with the left hand shifters as I have small hands (mostly from middle to large chain ring). I did have my bike geared so that I was mostly staying in the middle chain ring and just practised being very definite in my gear change. The right hand shifters are OK. We shortened my handlebars so that my arms were positioned inline with my shoulders which helped. The angle of the shifters also makes a difference.

    At the moment I am riding a drop bar road bike with STI shifters, which are good. But they also have their limitations as they are made for people with bigger hands. I have them adjusted so that they are sticking out a bit further to the outside, but it is not advisable to have them any further in case they get damaged. I also have reach adjusted to the closest possible for breaking. You can buy short reach levers but they are very pricy!

    As I am 52 I know that I will eventually go back to a flat bar style as there is a lot of strain on my neck and shoulders riding drops. I believe that some shifters are better than others!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.