UK and Europe · Public discussion

Anyone done Sustrans Route 2 (Southern Coast)?

Started by Ray Swartz · · Last activity · 3 posts · 549 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 June 2004
Last activity
22 June 2004
Original author
Ray Swartz
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
549
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I will be in England (normally I'm in California) in
    September and am looking to do some cycle touring when I am
    there. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on
    starting in Canterbury and taking route 1 to Dover and then
    following route 2 along the southern coast either all the
    way west or stopping along the way and heading north (to my
    final stop of Beaconsfield).

    Whatever comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

    Ray

  2. "Ray Swartz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I will be in England (normally I'm in California) in
    September and am looking to do some cycle touring when I
    am there. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice
    on starting in Canterbury and taking route 1 to Dover and
    then following route 2 along the southern coast either all
    the way west or stopping along the way and heading north
    (to my final stop of Beaconsfield).

    Whatever comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

    Ray

    I don't know the area but the County Council's web site
    looks helpful.

    kent.gov.ukhome.html

    T

  3. "Ray Swartz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I will be in England (normally I'm in California) in
    September and


    am

    Quoted message said:

    looking to do some cycle touring when I am there. I was
    wondering


    if

    Quoted message said:

    anyone can give me any advice on starting in Canterbury
    and taking route 1 to Dover and then following route 2
    along the southern


    coast

    Quoted message said:

    either all the way west or stopping along the way and
    heading north (to my final stop of Beaconsfield).

    That would be scenic but slow. Sustrans is the British
    equivalent to Rails-to-Trails, so they try to make as much
    of the route as possilbe on bike trails. Sometimes this just
    means sidewalks alongside main roads, although good
    sidewalks.

    It helps to have good maps, and Britain has good maps. For
    lightness an Ordnance Survey road atlas of Britain, scale
    about 3 miles to the inch, is probably best. Tear out the
    pages you need, and mail the rest back home. That will do ok
    for outside urban areas, but won't show you the Sustrans off-
    road trails.

    To get to Beaconsfield, to the WNW of London, you will
    either have to go through London, or keep to the W. of it.
    The W. is pretty country, but tends to have enough people to
    be almost a quasi suburb. To convince themselves it's still
    country the locals have kept the narrow lanes, but sometimes
    those lanes can have considerable traffic on them. It might
    be better to bypass some stretches by train. You can take
    your bike on most trains outside the rush hour, and even,
    counterflow, during rush hour. Just wheel your bike on and
    stand in a vestibule holding it. No extra cost for the bike.

    Trains tend to go into or out of central London. London,
    of course, is a big city, but you could do worse than
    spending half a day or so exploring central London by
    bike. Example sights: alongside the Thames, or canal
    towpaths, through some Royal Parks, Smithfield, Leadenhall
    or Spitalfields Markets, up Whitehall, or just poking your
    nose down back streets and alleys in the neighbourhoods.
    Duck into a tube station and pick up a free copy of the
    local sheet of London's bike map from the rack by the
    ticket office (sheet 10 for Central London). Use trains to
    bypass the boring suburbs.

    Get in tourch with theCyclists Touring Club www.ctc.org.uk
    and the London Cycling Campaign www.lcc.org.uk

    Jeremy Parker

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.