Anybody have any suggestions where i can get a good deal on a new bike from the internet? Any
specific bikes brands and models will help, thank you.
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Any suggestions for buying a bike?
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Road Cycling
- Published
- 27 September 2003
- Last activity
- 28 September 2003
- Original author
- Amir
- Posts
- 4
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 533
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Quoted message said:
Anybody have any suggestions where i can get a good deal on a new bike from the internet? Any
specific bikes brands and models will help, thank you.If you're looking for a road, and especially if it's your first nice one (and perhaps even more so
if it's a road bike), the Internet's probably not the best place to buy a bike. Fit is such a *huge*
thing, and the best "deal" in the world isn't any good if you don't ride the bike because it's not
as comfortable as it ought to be.There's also the issue that there are a whole lot of semi-fraudulent companies selling famous brands
that aren't. Basically, quite a few high-visibility (and generally high-quality) bike lines went out
of business in the 80s and early 90s, and some "opportunists" (to put it kindly) have been using
those names on some pretty cheap stuff built out of factories that have absolutely nothing to do
with the original name. Some of these bikes are near-trash, some not quite so bad, but none of them
have anything to do with the original heritage of the line.And finally, a good local bike shop is going to be spending a lot of time on you & your bike, time
that will ensure you get the most out of your investment. Some of this includes the 2+ hours they'll
spend assembling and checking things out, some more will involve figuring out what the most
appropriate type of bike for your riding and the opportunities in your area, and still more will
involve getting it fit properly, as I mentioned above. Add the fitting I spoke of earlier, and you
can see there's a lot more to a bike than a box that arrives via UPS.--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.comOpen ↗
-
"Amir" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Anybody have any suggestions where i can get a good deal on a new bike from the internet? Any
specific bikes brands and models will help, thank you.What kind of bike do you want? There are probably a dozen different types.
How much do you want to spend?
Can you build and repair bikes by yourself? If you order one from the web, you'll either have to pay
a mechanic, or build and repair it yourself.-Barry
-
I agree with Mike. I just bought a bike today - I had been watching ebay, and finally just decided
that I wouldn't know what I was getting or whether I put it together right, etc. I ended up buying
from a local shop that had a good selection. I payed MSRP for a mid to high end mountain bike, but
the dealer made it up with some freebies. And I'm really relying on him to make sure that everything
continues to be right with the bike and how it suits
me.john
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Anybody have any suggestions where i can get a good deal on a new bike from the internet? Any
specific bikes brands and models will help, thank you.Quoted message said:
And finally, a good local bike shop is going to be spending a lot of time
onQuoted message said:
you & your bike, time that will ensure you get the most out of your investment. Some of this
includes the 2+ hours they'll spend assembling
andQuoted message said:
checking things out, some more will involve figuring out what the most appropriate type of bike
for your riding and the opportunities in your
area,Quoted message said:
and still more will involve getting it fit properly, as I mentioned above. Add the fitting I spoke
of earlier, and you can see there's a lot more to
aQuoted message said:
bike than a box that arrives via UPS.
--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.comOpen ↗
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.