Looking through the forum, I am clearly not the first newbie seeking advice so I appreciate any thoughts you have.
I'm in the market for a new road bike. I currently have a 10 year old Cannondale. Its a nice bike but I bought it second hand and it just doesn't quite fit me. I can't put my finger on whats wrong, but long rides it just isn't quite comfortable enough, for some reason the frame geometry doesn't quite suit. I can't tell you what model it is, I just don't know! I'll keep it as a commuting bike and if I ever (hopefully never) have a stack I'll sacrifice that.
What I am looking for is a comfortable road bike which would be well suited to rides in the 50km to 100km region. Realistically I only expect to ride 100-150km a week. I'm not looking to race ever, just go on club/groups rides or solo rides. I'll push myself as hard as I can, but I'm realistic enough to know that my best sporting days are in the past.
As I mentioned comfort is a big factor for me in the selection of a bike. I would probably be looking at a budget of upto $3,000 but would be happy to pay less.
I don't know it body weight is a factor in selecting bike models, I'm not the lightest bloke going around.
Does anyone have any good suggestions? Other than frame do things like wheel style make any difference to comfort? Are complete bike packages the way to go?
From what I have picked up the general consensus is that for someone of my level, there is little difference between ultegra and 105s. I currently have ultegras but whats in a name?
Any input gratefully received as its a confusing world out there and so many nice bikes to choose from.