Triathlon · Public discussion

altitude, higher altitude, and heart rate

Started by Brian Pauley · · Last activity · 1 post · 416 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
20 November 2004
Last activity
20 November 2004
Original author
Brian Pauley
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
416
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    A friend asked me a question, and I was confused by it so I thought
    I'd throw it out to the group for your input. I know that this is a
    triathlon group and my letter pertains to skiing, but I thought I'd
    tap your heart rate knowledge.

    He and his wife live in Colorado Springs (altitude 7k? or so). They
    both skate ski with the main race being the American Birkebeiner each
    year. This year they started watching their heart rates more closely
    with the aid of a HRM while they've started their early season
    training.

    The on-snow training that they do is in Breckenridge (altitude 10k),
    however, they roller ski both in Colorado Springs and Breckenridge
    when there is no snow.

    The have been finding that, even though their roller skiing perceived
    exertion at the higher altitude in Breckenridge is higher, their
    threshold heart rate is lower. Doesn't it stand to reason that their
    heart rates should go up at altitude instead of down at the same
    perceived exertion due to the lower partial pressure of oxygen? Or do
    the muscles fatigue out due to the lower oxygen and the heart rate
    never has a chance to get up to the higher level?

    Thoughts? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

    Brian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.