Just back from a very easy and enjoyable 3-mile stroll along the River Wear at Durham. Parked alongside the Durham Rowing Club (it's free and just ten minutes walk from the city centre) at NZ286422.
Walked down stream towards Durham City and crossed over the footbridge just before entering the city centre environs. Then headed up stream on the opposite bank passing Pelaw Wood and on to The Rose Tree pub at Shincliffe Bridge, stopping for liquid refreshments. Then it was back across the river over the road bridge, following the riverside footpath back to the car near the rowing club.
Pleasantly warm in the early autumn sunshine (still in shirt sleeves!) and to a soundtrack of bells from Durham Cathedral. Decided it would be an equally pleasant stroll around Christmas time when the days are short... maybe stopping for Sunday roast lunch at The Rose Tree.
Durham City itself was very, very busy with parents dropping of their siblings for the start of the new university term... freshers week coming up. Perhaps they'll one day look back and recall that lovely summer-like day when they first arrived to the evocative ringing of the cathedral bells. I even spotted a couple of students sitting on the grass on the banks of the river with text books, bare footed and quaffing bubbly!
even spotted a couple of students sitting on the grass on the banks of the river with text books, bare footed and quaffing bubbly!
Bloody students!
Did you see any of the wooden sculptures/carvings on your route? I remember doing a walk along the Wear a couple of years back and there were a few amazing wooden sculptures on the route.
Did you see any of the wooden sculptures/carvings on your route? I
remember
Quoted message said:
doing a walk along the Wear a couple of years back and there were a few amazing wooden sculptures on the route...
You're probably recalling a sculpture called 'The Last Supper' by Colin Wilbourne (I think that's how you spell his name). It was a rather original sculpture, executed from tree trunks. Each tree trunk had a different bit of the Last Supper carved on it and they were placed at different points. Only when you viewed them from one particular spot could you see the completed scene. Sadly, the sculpture is no longer there. I believe that the artist decided to remove it some while ago... I'm not sure what the reasons were. Colin created this piece while he was Artist In Residence at Durham Cathedral.
After his year at the cathedral, he spent a year at Sunderland creating a number of very original art works along the Wear and collectively referred to as the River Wear Sculpture Trail.
Did you see any of the wooden sculptures/carvings on your route? I
remember
Quoted message said:
doing a walk along the Wear a couple of years back and there were a few amazing wooden sculptures on the route...
You're probably recalling a sculpture called 'The Last Supper' by Colin Wilbourne (I think that's how you spell his name). It was a rather original sculpture, executed from tree trunks. Each tree trunk had a different bit of the Last Supper carved on it and they were placed at different points. Only when you viewed them from one particular spot could you see the completed scene. Sadly, the sculpture is no longer there. I believe that the artist decided to remove it some while ago... I'm not sure what the reasons were. Colin created this piece while he was Artist In Residence at Durham Cathedral.
After his year at the cathedral, he spent a year at Sunderland creating a number of very original art works along the Wear and collectively referred to as the River Wear Sculpture Trail.