rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Advice for freemounting 3 wheeled triverticycle

Started by mgrant · · Last activity · 1 post · 349 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
5 August 2004
Last activity
5 August 2004
Original author
mgrant
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
349
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Last night I decided to begin practicing freemounts on my three wheel
    stack. The three wheeler is made of 20" wheels so the total height is
    about 7 feet.

    On a shorter uni (about 5 feet) I can go straight to the left pedal and
    climb directly onto the seat but this one is too tall for that.

    Here's what I'm doing. Feel free to step in and offer advice.

    My basic idea is to use the bottom wheel as a step (right foot) and then
    go to the left pedal, followed by the right pedal and finally get seated
    and ride away.

    So, I start with the left pedal down and a little forward (about 7
    o'clock). I make sure the unicycle is leaning forward (maybe 15
    degrees?) and a little to the right.

    I then put my right foot on the bottom wheel where it meets the middle
    wheel. At this point my right hand is holding the back of the saddle
    and my left had is free.

    I step up onto the wheel and at the same time bring my left leg up so
    that I can step on the left pedal. My left hand grabs the front of the
    saddle.

    Basically that's as far as I've gotten. As soon as I attempt to
    transition my weight to the left pedal (to step up onto the right pedal)
    I either loose my balance or my nerve (or both).

    I'm wondering if my choice of pedal position is correct?

    Is it customary to begin pedaling before placing the saddle between the
    legs (a sort of SIF/regain balance maneuver) or should I be trying to
    get fully into position before riding away?

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34349

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.