Across Sandusky Bay, Ohio... how?

cashrefundman

Guest
I am plotting a route around lake erie

I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

thx

CRM.

My wife and I bicycled around Lake Erie from Pittsburgh a number of years
ago. We went south and around the bay. It added a day to our trip. We camped
in a town that had some tourist attraction called "the blue hole." If you
are planning on riding from Detriot to Canada, I have noticed some comments
that you cannot take your bike on the sidewalk on the bridge. When we
traveled we were able to do it. Our original plan was to take the ferry from
Sandusky to Point Pelle (sp), but we were too early in the season, and it
was not running yet. So we had to bike through Toledo, and then over to
Canada through Detriot. The whole trip was around four weeks, but we took
our time.

Tom

on my recent xcty trip I came into sandusky from leamington, ont via ferry( in
aug it comes from kingsville instead). I took 2 at Huron 2 turns into freeway
but there's a sort of "old" 2 that goes around that section. after that I
headed south so cant tell you anymore about 2 after that point.
gebuh

>I am plotting a route around lake erie
>
>I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.
>
>Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.
>
>I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.
>
>Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?
>
>thx
>
>CRM.
>

>I am plotting a route around lake erie
>
>I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

My information is old, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this...
but in 1992, I cycled on highway 2 across Sandusky Bay despite signs
prohibiting bicyles.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

"cashrefundman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am plotting a route around lake erie
>
> I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.
>
> Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.
>
> I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.
>
> Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?
>
> thx
>
> CRM.

Yetter Road does not cross the bay. It is an old road that had a draw bridge
that has been removed, maybe 20 years ago. The remaining road is used as a
fishing pier. You have two choices, go all the way around the bay via
Freemont or cross the bay bridge in violation of the posted signs. I do not
know if you will be fined or reprimanded if you are caught. I do know a
number of people who have ridden across the bridge, myself included. It's
been about ten years. There is a reasonable shoulder. I'd call a bike shop
in Sandusky and Freemont and ask what the locals do and if there is a good
time of day to cross, depending on your direction of travel.
Bill

I am plotting a route around lake erie

I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

thx

CRM.
I've crossed on the Causeway in blissful ignorance of the signage once about 35 years ago. My advice is to go as fast as you can. Stay to the right side of the roadway. Steer around the debris on the roadway as best you can. Gauge the winds ahead of time, but remember over the bay there is nothing to buffer those winds. Be prepared for wind gusts from trucks, camper vans, and cars pulling boats. Remember also that no one is expecting a cyclist on the Causeway because they read the signs. Once across, look back at where you were and collect yourself. It was a huge adrenalin rush for me.