Cycling Training · Public discussion

A Thank You and a few questions

Started by HYPOXIC FILMS · · Last activity · 3 posts · 827 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
27 November 2006
Last activity
4 December 2006
Original author
HYPOXIC FILMS
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
827
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    First off I would like say to I feel this site is amazing. Im involved in the watersports industry on a professional level and the forums we have for our sports are a complete joke. I was completely surprised at how serious and professional some of the topics can be and I am vary greatful to have been led to your guys site.

    With that being said I do have a few questions. Any input would be great. First off ive been riding daily sense the first part of July and may I say that I am completely addicted. Its all I think about and I love it. Ive been around bikes forever. I raced BMX for 8 years and then rode mountain for as long as i can remember but the road part is brand new to me and im hooked. I love the absolute challenge. I love getting hours away and knowing im still hours from being home.

    But heres the thing. Im completely new to this part of cycling. I have met with a coach and was fitted for my bike but other than that I have no idea whats going on🙂 Ive never even ridden with another person. So Im curious if my riding habits are helping or hurting me. Heres the thing. The first day I got on a road bike I rode 60 miles and pretty much ever sense then ive been riding 50 plus miles a day. I rode my first century last week in under 5 hours. Which I heard was a pretty good time for your first century and riding alone. I wasnt even planning on riding that. I was just planning on a quick 40 because it was raining but I just kept going. Im addicted to hills. Where I live it is mainly hills and I love 15 plus degree hills. ill just ride them over and over. I was riding 7 days a week until someone told me i should at least rest one day a week. See I didnt even know to rest. I just love to ride as hard as I can. I did a race the first week I started riding road and I finished with the front group. but it was in cat5. Are you wondering what my question is? 🙂 ok heres the thing. I seem to always have some pain going on. May it be my heel, or my knee or my back and now both my wrists hurt. The thing is I really dont know how to go easy on a ride. I dont see the point in going easy. Im guessing if I did I wouldnt have these problems but I was just curious is there any type of "usual breaking in period" when you first start riding. In all my years of riding ive never had these types of pains.

    This post has become alot longer than I thought it would be🙂 But i guess my question is if you recall did any of you have any pains when you first started riding long distances? and my thing is I just want to ride my bike further and further and faster and faster. I really have no goals. Honestly if I never did another a race I would be fine with that. I dealed with that in BMX on a sponsored level for 8 years. But is there any type of guide to follow for training because really all I do everyday is go find the steapest hills and ride for as long I have each day which usually gives me enough time for 50 miles.

    Thank You for your suggestions and I apologize for the length.

    One last question. Im getting a pain in the back of my knees (mainly left knee) when my pedal stroke comes up. Not when my leg is straight sitting in the saddle but when brought up. When I get out of the saddle for a climb I dont feel it. any suggestions.

    Thanks again

  2. Whoa. As for the aches and pains, sounds like you are in good shape but are also pushing yourself quite a bit... maybe too much?

    Why not have one ride a week that is nice and relaxing... just to enjoy the scenery? Get a HRM and impose upon yourself not to go beyond 70% of your MHR... spinning easy gears. Do not always ride hard!

    Are you sure you got well-fitted? Some aches and pains are normal when you are getting into riding, but you may have been going a bit too far a bit too early...

  3. Thanks for the reply. ill keep that in mind. Another great newbie move I pulled was that I realized this entire time (about 5 months) ive had my wheel size on my computer set at 22 inches. So that didnt help. So now that ive fixed it my average speed has gone up to 26mph. 🙂

    Thanks for the tips

    Powerful Pete said:

    Whoa. As for the aches and pains, sounds like you are in good shape but are also pushing yourself quite a bit... maybe too much?

    Why not have one ride a week that is nice and relaxing... just to enjoy the scenery? Get a HRM and impose upon yourself not to go beyond 70% of your MHR... spinning easy gears. Do not always ride hard!

    Are you sure you got well-fitted? Some aches and pains are normal when you are getting into riding, but you may have been going a bit too far a bit too early...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.