General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

A short walk on Christmas day

Started by Rooney · · Last activity · 5 posts · 289 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 December 2004
Last activity
27 December 2004
Original author
Rooney
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
289
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Around the Cheshire footpaths and woods and over the fields - utterly
    deserted on Christmas morning, but alive with rabbits and squirrels,
    buzzards, jays, woodpeckers, [censored] and goldcrests, plus a few
    bullfinches. The Meindl boots, I've concluded, come into their own on
    these rough and often muddy paths in winter, with a decent grip and
    keeping the feet toasty warm and dry. I've stopped using them on the
    high rocky fells, where they are just too slippy on the rock for my
    liking.
    I could see the Clwydians covered in snow, but the Peak in the other
    direction seemed to have missed it. Looking north, I could see the
    weather approaching me, gradually blotting out the view. A couple of
    hours into the walk it was with me, and I spent the last 15 minutes
    with my head bent towards the ground as the white stuff came in
    horizontally.
    Then the car materialised through the white, and after brewing up and
    running the engine till the heater was blasting out at full strength I
    sat for 15 minutes with my breakfast - coffee and mince pies -
    watching the landscape get a complete covering. Good stuff!

    This afternoon when I returned, people had been sledging - though
    sadly others had gone off the road in their cars at a few spots en
    route, and were getting hauled out by breakdown trucks.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  2. I walked on Christmas Common on Christmas Day. I sat and
    ate bagles with cream cheese and smoked salmon and watched
    the Red Kites wheeling gracefully in the afternoon sun. Very
    pleasant it was. There was the occasional flurry of snow but
    nothing of great note.

    Chris

  3. Chris Gilbert said:

    I walked on Christmas Common on Christmas Day. I sat and
    ate bagles with cream cheese and smoked salmon and watched
    the Red Kites wheeling gracefully in the afternoon sun. Very
    pleasant it was. There was the occasional flurry of snow but
    nothing of great note.

    Chris

    Nice one. Where's Christmas Common?

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  4. Rooney wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nice one. Where's Christmas Common?

    Chilterns. Just south of Watlington.

    Back in the Peak now. Definitely on the thaw. Wind picking
    up but with the fire now in the house is warming up again. Nice
    bottle of Hardy's Cabernet Sauvignon to reinforce the defences.
    Hopefully get out for a walk the morrow but the forecast seems
    to be changing its mind.

    Agreed about the Meindls, BTW.

    Chris

  5. Chris Gilbert said:

    Rooney wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nice one. Where's Christmas Common?

    Chilterns. Just south of Watlington.

    Back in the Peak now. Definitely on the thaw. Wind picking
    up but with the fire now in the house is warming up again. Nice
    bottle of Hardy's Cabernet Sauvignon to reinforce the defences.
    Hopefully get out for a walk the morrow but the forecast seems
    to be changing its mind.

    Agreed about the Meindls, BTW.

    Chris

    I'm currently reinforcing mine with a nice bottle of Hardys Cabernet
    Merlot, which is delicious and cost under £4. I've had to remain sober
    all day, watching my wife and kids enjoy themselves alcoholically (I
    was driving them home). Now it's my turn!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.