UK and Europe · Public discussion

a new convert to the Dark Side?

Started by Myra Vaninwegen · · Last activity · 70 posts · 3,197 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 January 2003
Last activity
7 February 2003
Original author
Myra Vaninwegen
Posts
70
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,197
Views / 30 days
57

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 70
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message One thing about the bike and typical
    Edinburgh conditions: if you stay in a tenement anywhere other than the ground floor

    Already had a bike when I was flat hunting - my flat is on the ground floor
    :-)

    950 isn't bad at all - I was considering buying a road bike this year (Ridgeback Genesis Day 1) and
    had budgetted about 600 for it - I'm not going that way now (alas, I /am/ thinking of moving), I'll
    stick with my roadified MTB - it would delay my conversion.

    Much as I like the idea of the SON, I've got lots of lights already, and I could always have a
    wheel built round the cheaper Shimano - I've been told of a guy in Edinburgh who charges 5ukp per
    hour to build wheels (it takes him about 30 mins) if you supply all the bits, but the Rohloff
    sounds so tasty.

    Ooh dear, this is getting worrying.....

    E

  2. "Bas" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    3 wheels ? Never seen one of those, the occasional one I see here in Holland are all 2 wheels....
    'Fraid you're gonna topple ?

    I've tried Trices a fair bit (at the Mildenhall Rally last year, you can see I've been interested in
    them for awhile) and have had short goes on two-wheeled recumbents. The trikes do seem alot more
    stable than 'bent bikes. And there's another thing to consider -- with a child on the way I would
    want to buy a machine that I can put a kiddie seat on, and I don't think that recumebent bikes are
    very appropriate. On the other hand, they work fine on recumbent trikes.

    Frank said:

    Do you ride with drops, I had tingly hands and fingers and this appears to be caused by bending my
    wrists back when I ride my hybrid, when I ride my road bike, I ride on the hoods my wrists are
    straight my fingers don't tingle. The effect seems to be cumulative, with recovery taking place
    over weeks/months.

    I ride with straight bars, because I have found that it causes my left hand to tingle less. For many
    years I used only drop bars, but since my bout with RSI in '96, I've found (through much
    experimentation) that the hand position I get with drop bars is much worse for my hands than with
    straight bars. So much that I want to sell my one remaining bike with drop bars.

    Anyway, we're talking an extreme situation here. Unless I take preventative measures, my left hand
    tingles while I'm sleeping! And this is with me sleeping on my right side and arm falling gently to
    the bed, with no restrictions whasoever. What I've found helps is to put a big thick pillow to my
    right and drape my arm over the pillow, so it remains at about the same height as my left shoulder.
    That seems to keep the blood flowing.

    Peter Clinch said:

    I suspect Myra's bike is already comfortable... at least as far as wedgies can be. But it really
    is rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic stuff compared to a big comfy chair with no weight to
    speak of on your arms and wrists.

    Well, when the roads clear (I'm sensible enough not to ride when it's so slippery, as the
    consequences of a fall could be bad) I'll break out the Brompton and try that. It has very high and
    close handlebars, so it may make it possible to consider riding without getting excessive tingling
    until I can get a 'bent trike.

    Tony W said:

    If in doubt (and only when sitting down) take a look at:-
    chapmancentral.comBike Optima Stinger Such horrors could be
    yours if you succumb to the evil that is the Dark Side.

    As I've said before, Mr Chapman has very nice legs! I wouldn't mind if mine looked a bit more
    like that.

    Andy Welch said:

    Did you check whether he had any Trice in stock? When I was there (a year or so ago) he had one of
    the old (pre-ICE) models, but this was pretty heavy.

    He's got a used Explorer, and is about to acquire two other used ones this coming week. I think he's
    got various brands of new ones as well. Anyway, I'm not absolutely committed to a Trice. Any
    recumbent trike that's not too heavy, nor too wide (due to the bollards that polulate Cambridge's
    cycle paths) would be fine. And I have had at least a short ride on a Windcheetah, at a Bike Week
    Cycle Try-out show.

    Eddie Dubourg said:

    I think there would be a lot of converts to the Dark Side (myself included) if we could afford
    one. I reckon I /may/ be able to afford one in a year or so (I dream of an SMGT), provided I don't
    do anything silly like moving house.

    I've really been cutting back on my expenses recently, figuring that it will serve us well when my
    salary is cut in half (I'm hoping fairly quickly to get back to half-time work, especailly
    considering that I can work from home, but it may be quite some time before I go back full-time) and
    we have another mouth to feed. So I actually have a couple thousand set aside that isn't desperately
    needed right away.

    Steve Watkin wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Have you seen the Pixie from Trice? For what it's worth try and go and see them at Trice, I have a
    s/h Classic and on my visit to them they made me extremely welcome.

    I've seen them on their website but not in person. I wouldn't buy one, even if I could fit it. I
    think it's meant for someone quite a bit smaller than I am. I have a 30 3/4" inseam, and 31" is the
    upper limit for the Pixie. Also it comes with 152mm cranks, and I get along very well with 165mm
    cranks. Another reason for not buying it is that it would have a lower resale value than one that
    could fit an average sized person rather than just a very small person.

    I won't be contacting the Trice people directly, as if I get one from them it will take weeks. I'll
    have the baby by then! If I get one from
    D.Tek (just 10 miles from here), I can be on the road with my new (actually, probably used) trike by
    next weekend, and my tingly hands will be history.

    Richard Keatinge wrote, after much deliberation and trial and error:

    Quoted message said:

    A man needs a woman like Myra needs a trike!

    Hee ha! Now that's what I like to hear.

    -Myra

  3. Myra VanInwegen said:

    The trikes do seem alot more stable than 'bent bikes.

    More stable than any bike - but I still ride a bike.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do you ride with drops, I had tingly hands and fingers and this appears to be caused by bending
    my wrists back when I ride my hybrid

    Quoted message said:

    I ride with straight bars, because I have found that it causes my left hand to tingle less. For
    many years I used only drop bars

    I have noticed far more variation in the key "fit" elements on the bikes of the women in my club
    than those of the men. Most of the men ride drop bars and (if riding a tourer) leather saddles. The
    women ride a wide range of saddles, and every conceivable variation of drops, flats, bar ends,
    butterfly bars and so on.

    Quoted message said:

    As I've said before, Mr Chapman has very nice legs! I wouldn't mind if mine looked a bit more
    like that.

    <blush>

    Quoted message said:

    I've really been cutting back on my expenses recently, figuring that it will serve us well when my
    salary is cut in half

    Nah - spend it while you've got it, the acquisition cost of a small person is small, but the running
    costs are astronomical!

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

    highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml

  4. Myra VanInwegen said:

    The trikes do seem alot more stable than 'bent bikes.

    *Any* trike should be more stable than any bike though, even if your balance is so good you can keep
    up a trackstand indefinitely!

    Quoted message said:

    And there's another thing to consider -- with a child on the way I would want to buy a machine
    that I can put a kiddie seat on, and I don't think that recumebent bikes are very appropriate.

    I don't really see why this would be any less the case than with an upright two wheeler. Having said
    that, any 3 wheeler should be easier to load up safely than any bike without a full centre-stand.

    Quoted message said:

    Well, when the roads clear (I'm sensible enough not to ride when it's so slippery, as the
    consequences of a fall could be bad) I'll break out the Brompton and try that.

    Don't forget the new tyres! (really does make a difference running Brompton or Marathon tyres in
    place of the Records).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  5. John B said:

    What about Pantani ?

    I had assumed that he'd shaved his head to be more aero......

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

    highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml

  6. "Eddie Dubourg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>... <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I've been told of a guy in Edinburgh who charges 5ukp per hour to build wheels (it takes him about
    30 mins)

    Is this Neil Bain down in Newhaven? He's built a couple of wheels for me for what seems like no
    money at all (including parts) and they seem pretty damn sturdy wheels to me. I rarely bother going
    anywhere else for bits anymore, but he is very chatty so a five minute visit can turn into an hour!

    I live about 200 metres from his shop, which makes carting a trashed bike round to get fixed
    very easy.

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  7. "Steve Watkin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:...

    Quoted message said:

    Myra, .........................just do it! Have you seen the Pixie from Trice? For what it's worth
    try and go and see them at Trice, I have a s/h Classic and on my visit to them they made me
    extremely welcome. I don't know much about the windcheeta but I don't think I have ever seen


    a

    Quoted message said:

    better made product anywhere than the Trices that ICE make. I don't think you will ever regret it,
    the only reservation I would have


    is

    Quoted message said:

    if you have to ride in very dense traffic cos. it's a bit low, so because


    of

    Quoted message said:

    this I don't ride mine in central London but it's use in the suburbs is fine. I just love it!!

    SW "Myra VanInwegen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It seems that being pregnant is bad for your circulation. A couple times I've woken up in the
    middle of the night with my left hand tingling madly. (I've had problems with poor circulation
    in my left hand for years, since a serious bout with RSI in '96, but it's gotten markedly worse
    in the past month). Last night I had the indignity of a cramp in my left calf to add to it (it's
    amazing how breathtakingly painful a cramp is!)

    As I ride to work (trip of 3.5 miles) my left hand gets tingly fairly quickly and soon I can
    barely feel it. I shake it around, which helps relieve it a bit, but I worry that I've got less
    control over the bike when I do this. After I get to work it comes back to life quite quickly,
    but feels funny for quite some time. My right hand gets a tiny bit tingly, but nothing to worry
    about.

    I worry that I may be doing real damage to my left hand. There are two obvious solutions:
    (1) drive to work
    (2) buy a recumbent I could do (1), but that would really restrict my mobility. I can drive
    between work and home without too much hassle, but any trip into town would become vastly
    more complicated as I couldn't use the many cycle routes and I'd have to worry about
    parking. So I think (2) is a better option. Especially as I've been wanting a Trice for
    quite some time. So I've phoned up Kevin at D.Tek (recumbent and other weird bikes shop in
    Little Thetford about 10 miles north of Cambridge) and had a discussion about recumbent
    trikes. He's got quite a few in stock. So in a couple weeks time I may be commuting to work
    on three wheels!

    -Myra

  8. "Graeme Dods" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Eddie Dubourg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I've been told of a guy in Edinburgh who charges 5ukp per hour to build wheels (it


    takes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    him about 30 mins)

    Is this Neil Bain down in Newhaven?

    That's the one! Oh dear, the queues will be stretching to Princes Street.....

    E

  9. Myra VanInwegen said:

    And there's another thing to consider -- with a child on the way I would want to buy a machine
    that I can put a kiddie seat on, and I don't think that recumebent bikes are very appropriate. On
    the other hand, they work fine on recumbent trikes.

    The manual for my SMGT (which wasn't available in English when I bought the bike, but which I
    downloaded a couple of months ago) specifically states that a child seat must not be fitted. It
    advises (actually it orders - it was translated from German) that a trailer should be used instead.
    Which is what I do anyway.

    If you want to put a kiddie seat on a bent, I'd agree that a trike is a much better option
    than a bike.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  10. 31 Jan 2003 04:18:19 -0800, Myra VanInwegen:

    Quoted message said:

    And there's another thing to consider -- with a child on the way I would want to buy a machine that
    I can put a kiddie seat on, and I don't think that recumebent bikes are very appropriate.

    Depends. There are recumbents available especially designed for commuting, transporting goods (and
    kids), have a rain cover available... See:

    incredibleweb.deklassikeigenschaften.php3

    (bad picture)

    home.t-online.deindexgb.html

    (some details in english)

    Andreas

  11. Frank <[email hidden]> enlightened us with:

    Quoted message said:

    Do you ride with drops, I had tingly hands and fingers and this appears to be caused by bending my
    wrists back when I ride my hybrid, when I ride my road bike, I ride on the hoods my wrists are
    straight my fingers don't tingle. The effect seems to be cumulative, with recovery taking place
    over weeks/months.

    I'm not saying this is related to your problems but its worth a look : carpal tunnel syndrome

    cptips.comhandsyn.htm

    I agree with Frank! After doing some long rides on my hybrid I was getting tingling exactly like
    Myra. No change of hand/grip position wouldn't help though - I simply had too much weight on my
    hands for my circulation to cope with.

    While your cycling position may not have changed, the (temporary) detoriation in circulation plus no
    doubt slightly increased weight on the handlebars due to bump and the other misc preg weight
    increases could easily have revealed this.

    My wife is nearly 7 months preg, and has had to raise her handlebars to make her sit more upright.
    Mostly to allow more room for bump. She was cycling so slowly these days the increased wind
    resistance is hardly an issue.

    Thicker gloves might even help mask it a little.

    But it's at least worth trying raising your handlebars just to see - a little bit cheaper than a
    bent trike!

    Jifl

    Quoted message said:

    "Myra VanInwegen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It seems that being pregnant is bad for your circulation. A couple times I've woken up in the
    middle of the night with my left hand tingling madly. (I've had problems with poor circulation in
    my left hand for years, since a serious bout with RSI in '96, but it's gotten markedly worse in
    the past month). Last night I had the indignity of a cramp in my left calf to add to it (it's
    amazing how breathtakingly painful a cramp is!)

    As I ride to work (trip of 3.5 miles) my left hand gets tingly fairly quickly and soon I can
    barely feel it. I shake it around, which helps relieve it a bit, but I worry that I've got
    less control over the bike when I do this. After I get to work it comes back to life quite
    quickly, but feels funny for quite some time. My right hand gets a tiny bit tingly, but
    nothing to worry about.


    --
    --[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]-- --[ can rejoice because thorns have
    roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine

  12. Danny Colyer said:

    The manual for my SMGT (which wasn't available in English when I bought the bike, but which I
    downloaded a couple of months ago) specifically states that a child seat must not be fitted.

    Yes, but it also forbids you from bumping up and down kerbs... If you followed the full letter of
    the law in that document you'd never be able to go touring to all the interesting places HPV show on
    their website, so I'm pretty sure it's covering their legal backs for the most part.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  13. Andreas Oehler <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Myra VanInwegen said:

    And there's another thing to consider -- with a child on the way I would want to buy a machine
    that I can put a kiddie seat on, and I don't think that recumebent bikes are very appropriate.

    Depends. There are recumbents available especially designed for commuting, transporting goods (and
    kids), have a rain cover available... See:

    incredibleweb.deklassikeigenschaften.php3

    (bad picture)

    home.t-online.deindexgb.html

    Actually, that looks like a nice solution!

    Still, I think I'd prefer not to put a kiddie seat on any two-wheeled cycle, recumbent or not. It
    just seems to be quite tricky putting the kid on, then getting going yourself. I know that plenty of
    people use kiddie seats without difficulty, but for myself I'd prefer a trailer or a trike.

    Pashley makes an upright 3-speed trike that has two rear-facing kiddie seats on it, and that seems
    like a great way to transport kids for short distances.

    -Myra

    -Myra

  14. [email hidden] (Jonathan Larmour) wrote

    Quoted message said:

    While your cycling position may not have changed, the (temporary) detoriation in circulation plus
    no doubt slightly increased weight on the handlebars due to bump and the other misc preg weight
    increases could easily have revealed this.

    My wife is nearly 7 months preg, and has had to raise her handlebars to make her sit more upright.
    Mostly to allow more room for bump. She was cycling so slowly these days the increased wind
    resistance is hardly an issue.

    I think my circulation has deteriorated so badly that simple raising the bars a bit is not going to
    help. This evening I will try out our bike that has the highest, closest handlebars -- the Brompton.
    (It lives in Simon's office at work, so we drove in today, and he'll take the car home while I try
    out the Brompton). I think this has a good chance of working and keeping me riding.

    Quoted message said:

    Thicker gloves might even help mask it a little.

    I don't think so -- as I've said my left hand falls asleep at night when there's no pressure on it
    at all, if I don't arrange a pillow prop to put it at pretty much the level of my shoulder. I
    think it's more to do with position (lower than shoulder) and lack of movement than actual weight
    on the hand.

    Quoted message said:

    But it's at least worth trying raising your handlebars just to see - a little bit cheaper than a
    bent trike!

    Absolutely. To be honest, this circulation problem is just an excuse to do something I've been
    wanting to do for quite some time. I have in me the desire to ride really long distances. I did a
    double century in 1994, and this went fine. However, in 2000 (post RSI) I rode 170 miles from
    Cambridge to York, and three fingers on my left hands got to tingling, and they stayed that way for
    about three weeks. To do serious long-distance riding, I need a recumbent.

    Also Simon is quite keen to try one out, so we'll get one that can fit him or me (with a change of
    chain length) so we can fit it up for him to try out.

    -Myra

  15. Myra VanInwegen wrote of:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    incredibleweb.deklassikeigenschaften.php3

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, that looks like a nice solution!

    It's not quite the same, but it looks a lot like the bent equivalent of the Family Bike that Dan
    Joyce reviewed in the December issue of Cycle: family-bike.comfamily-bike.com

    His conclusion seemed to be that it's a good idea (it is), but that it just doesn't work in real
    life. I'd be interested to see a similar review of the bike that Andreas mentioned, though.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  16. Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:03:32 -0000, Danny Colyer:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd be interested to see a similar review of the bike that Andreas mentioned, though.

    There has been reviews of the Radnabel ATL in older Encyclopedia and/or BCQ, don't know about other
    UK magazines.

    But - it is build here in Tuebingen, so I see lots of those bents on the road everyday...

    Andreas

  17. As a followup: I rode the Brompton home last night and to work this morning. Even with its extremely
    upright position I still get a tingly left hand, but it's nowhere near as bad as with my other
    bikes. Just a couple of shakes of the elbow brings my fingers back to life. With the other bikes,
    absolutely nothing I can do, short of getting off the bike, brings my hand to life.

    So I can keep riding, even without a recumbent. I'd still like to get a recumbent, but now that I've
    got something I can ride, it makes it less urgent, and I can take my time to choose one.

    But I definitely need to swap the tires! Riding the Brompton is *such* hard work.

    -Myra

  18. Myra VanInwegen said:

    So I can keep riding, even without a recumbent. I'd still like to get a recumbent, but now that
    I've got something I can ride, it makes it less urgent, and I can take my time to choose one.

    There's always the Brompton recumbent conversion, of course! ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    But I definitely need to swap the tires! Riding the Brompton is *such* hard work.

    Brompton's own seem okay, will do 100 psi and have lower rolling resistance than Marathons. The
    non-kevlar ones are quite a bit cheaper too. My pal wot uses them reckons they're "a bit skittery
    in the wet" but not to the point of being naughty. I got Marathons 'cause I liked them so much on
    the 'bent.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  19. Myra VanInwegen said:

    So I can keep riding, even without a recumbent. I'd still like to get a recumbent, but now that
    I've got something I can ride, it makes it less urgent, and I can take my time to choose one.

    For a consideration I can arrange for the Brommie to break down and require urgent replacement with
    a 'bent ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

    highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml

  20. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For a consideration I can arrange for the Brommie to break down and


    require

    Quoted message said:

    urgent replacement with a 'bent ;-)

    Nothing could more eloquently demonstrate the evil of the Dark Side. To damage a Brommie just to
    seduce a poor innocent to the Dark Side is despicable. You should be ashamed of yourself, Guy.
    Though we know its really not you speaking -- I'm sure you are essentially good - but the Dark Side
    is strong and very, very dangerous.

    🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.