Road Cycling · Public discussion

a happy coincidence - I'm doomed

Started by Mark Freedman · · Last activity · 5 posts · 608 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
17 May 2003
Last activity
21 May 2003
Original author
Mark Freedman
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
608
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So there I was, 50km into a 75km loop, cruising south on Bayview (wide, fast, multi-lane
    suburban road).

    Peering through my scratched "Fit overs" with bleary eyes, I thought "hmmm .... there's a police
    cruiser stopped in the curb lane."

    Signalled my lane change, moved left to pass.

    The traffic light turned yellow. I stopped (I do that even
    when there isn't a police cruiser parked at the intersection).

    The officer started his engine, nudged the car forward a few feet, rolled down the window.

    (anticipation. fear. dread.)

    "Watch out for the nails." He said. "Nails?" I replied. "They're all over the road. Better use
    the sidewalk." he said.

    So I did. (very seldom resort to the sidewalk, but he had a gun).

    Yup. Nails all over the road. Looked like about 4 per square inch. Think they were galvanized
    roofing nails. I hypothesize that a box of them fell off a truck and "exploded," carpet bombing
    the area. Or perhaps a road salter loaded with roofing nails went through - that's what it
    looked like, for about 30 feet.

    If I'd hit those at 40 kph, I'd probably be picking nails out of my hands and knees and
    ...... for days.

    If I'd hit them going slowly, I could have written a nastygram:

    "Dear Mr. Vredstein,

    I'd like to return these so-called 'puncture resistant' tires. They're OBVIOUSLY
    defective ......"

    Naturally, I cowered under the bed for the rest of the week. A stroke of good luck like that HAS
    to be balanced by a fiasco of similar mass, to maintain the natural order of the universe.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (mark

    freedman) said:

    Yup. Nails all over the road. Looked like about 4 per square inch. Think they were galvanized
    roofing nails. I hypothesize that a box of them fell off a truck and "exploded," carpet
    bombing the area. Or perhaps a road salter loaded with roofing nails went through - that's
    what it looked like, for about 30 feet.

    I wonder how many nails the Green Light Trigger Device could've picked up? <G>

    Glad you avoided catastrophe.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

  3. Of course, you stopped and picked up all the nails, saving the lives of fellow riders.

    Steve McDonald

  4. [email hidden] (Steve McDonald) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Of course, you stopped and picked up all the nails, saving the lives of fellow riders.

    Steve McDonald

    I have a pair of cycling shoes with the edge worn off from
    the times I've stopped to kick broken glass off the bike path.

    In this case, nothing short of a powerful electromagnet, or perhaps one of the
    "vacuum-cleaner-on-steroids" trucks used for cleaning the road, would have been effective.

    I considered returning with a whisk and dustpan, but I'm not sure even THAT would have gotten
    all of them.

    "and when I was a lad, we licked the pavement clean with our tongues, **IF** we were lucky ...."

  5. [email hidden] (mark freedman) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    The traffic light turned yellow. I stopped (I do that even
    when there isn't a police cruiser parked at the intersection).

    The officer started his engine, nudged the car forward a few feet, rolled down the window.

    (anticipation. fear. dread.)

    "Watch out for the nails." He said. "Nails?" I replied. "They're all over the road. Better use
    the sidewalk." he said.

    One wonders if he would have informed you if you hadn't stopped.

    Austin (who doesn't believe good and bad are equally distributed...so you may not be doomed)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.