Hey all, looking for some advice on stems here. I am looking at two models by FSA, the OS-115 and the OS-140. The 115 is made of 7075, forged and then machined and weighs around 120gm (with titanium hardware). The 140 is made of 2014-T6 al, forged and machined, and weighs about 150gm (with steel hardware). Is there any significant difference in strength or stiffness between these two stems/materials, other than weight and price ($110US vs $75US)? Will one stand up to abuse better, last longer with the same use? I am a heavy rider (230lbs) but have never had any stem/bar problems and don't ever find myself getting too agressive with the bars. I am hoping to get some answers from those of you who maybe have tried one or the other stem, but also those who know a bit about the metals and their durability/strengths/weaknesses, etc. Please feel free to chip in if you feel I am overlooking another great product in my search for a stem as well (I prefer the 84 degree angle though).
7075 is a about 15% stronger so it can be made lighter. Judging by the weights of the parts that's what's been done. Stiffness of both is the same for any given cross section.
The fatigue properties are roughly equivalent so they'll both last the same amount of time.
So the deciding factor should be weight and price.