Bike Cafe · Public discussion

.357 Magum for my first road bike

Started by bomski99 · · Last activity · 3 posts · 550 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
14 June 2011
Last activity
14 June 2011
Original author
bomski99
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
550
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey guys,

    I thought I would share a bit about myself and how I came to the idea of starting to cycle.

    I was in a serious car accident 7 months ago. I broke my ancle, my femur in 9 spots, my hip joint, and my shoulder. Five surgeries later I am about to re-enter the world. My surgeon told me that I would not be able to run or jump for at least a year but I would be able to swim or ride a bike.

    At present I am down 45 pounds from 215 to 170. I go to the YMCA often but, I am getting a little bored with it now that the weather is getting nicer. I decided to buy my first road bike to see if I enjoy it. Having not worked in the past 7 months, funds are a little short. So, I came up with the idea of selling my .357 magnum that is in mint condition. I should be able to get at least $400 for it so that is the price range that I set for my first bike. I posted an ad on craigslist and I got 2 responses. One for a 2007 Trek 1000 sl and another for a 2008 specialized sequoira. Both sellers are the same height as me and have the same inseam. I am meeting with the sequoira tonight and the trek on thursday and by the time the weekend comes around I will have purchased one of them.

    I started reading articles on this site, and I have to tell you I am pretty excited about my new venture. I think that it might make me feel more normal again as I have been out of the world for the past 7 months. I'm going back to work next month and I think the bike is just another positive thing for me. At 30 years old, I might be too old to do anything other than the casual ride.

    I also have some questions about the sport.
    --Are falls very common? Because of my extensive bone breakage, I would hate to do any more damage than what I have. Is there things to do to avoid spills?

    --Helmets? Not a big fan but if they are absolutely necessary than i guess I'll wear one.

    --Do you have to pump up the tires before each ride or do they usually maintain air pressure for some time?

    --Will I be able to fit the bike in the trunk of my Pontiac G-5 or do I need a rack?

    I guess that's enough for now. I loved my .357 but I'm hoping to love this sport more. I think it may by healthier...

  2. One bit of advice on Helmets. Wear one if not you could be adding a fractured skull to your list of injuries.

    Removing the wheels will allow you to fit the bike in your trunk (Maybe).

    Checking your air pressure should be part of all your pre-ride routines.

    Anyone can fall at any time. No one can predict in advance when they will be falling from their bike. Always be prepared to eventually crash.

    Take the time to research each bike you are looking at. Buy the one that fits the best and makes you the happiest. Just because someone is your hieght does not mean their bike will fit you properly. Get yourself a helmet and bring it along so you can ride any bike before purchasing.

  3. Thanks for the advice, I will get a helmet before I test drive. I never thought of that.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.