rec.bicycles.marketplace · Public discussion

28mm tires too wide?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 225 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.marketplace
Published
18 December 2005
Last activity
19 December 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
225
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find anything
    relevant by searching.

    I've got a pair of 700c x 28 Panaracer Paselas that I intended to use
    on my commuter bike. I'm not exactly sure what the width of the rims
    are -- subjectively I'd describe them as being standard road-racing
    style rims. They're Arayas, and the previous tires were WTB Caminos
    700x23.

    I put the Paselas on and the intertube (@80 psi) on the rear started
    bulging out the side and popped. I figured I did something wrong and
    tried again. This time it worked fine, and I rode the tires a couple
    hundred miles before getting a puncture. After repairing the tube, I
    remounted the Pasela (again, the rear), pumped it to 80 psi, and the
    tube bulged and popped yet again.

    I've never had this bulging problem with any other tire, so I'm
    thinking that it's just too wide for the rim - but that's surprising to
    me as 28 mm seems pretty conservative for a "wide" tire.

    So do you think that the tire/rim combo just aren't compatible, or am I
    just incompetent when it comes to mounting tires?

    Thanks..

    kw tyre tyres

  2. whoops, meant to put this in the tech group. sorry..

  3. brainwaster said:

    Hi,

    I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find anything
    relevant by searching.

    I've got a pair of 700c x 28 Panaracer Paselas that I intended to use on
    my commuter bike. I'm not exactly sure what the width of the rims are
    -- subjectively I'd describe them as being standard road-racing style
    rims. They're Arayas, and the previous tires were WTB Caminos 700x23.

    I put the Paselas on and the intertube (@80 psi) on the rear started
    bulging out the side and popped. I figured I did something wrong and
    tried again. This time it worked fine, and I rode the tires a couple
    hundred miles before getting a puncture. After repairing the tube, I
    remounted the Pasela (again, the rear), pumped it to 80 psi, and the
    tube bulged and popped yet again.

    I've never had this bulging problem with any other tire, so I'm thinking
    that it's just too wide for the rim - but that's surprising to me as 28
    mm seems pretty conservative for a "wide" tire.

    So do you think that the tire/rim combo just aren't compatible, or am I
    just incompetent when it comes to mounting tires?

    I can't imagine your tire and rim are out of spec enough to cause
    problems. Does the tire seem way too easy to mount/dismount?

    More likely you're getting your tube caught between the tire and rim. This
    is a common mistake and not hard to do. Some tubes are a lousy fit, which
    makes it more likely. The biggest problem is when their overall diameter
    is too small. So instead of pressing snugly against the inside of the
    tire, they tend to sit in the rim bed where it's too easy to get them
    pinched. The other problem is if the tube is too fat for the tire. It's
    actually easier to mount a too-skinny tube, and some riders use them for
    this reason.

    Matt O.

  4. Sir,

    Should not have a problem. I run easily 32c tire son normal rims on a cross bike and never had a problem.

    You most likely need to seat the tire before pumping the inner tube. When done installing go around the whole wheel making sure the tube is not pinched in any part. Once done just pump.

    P.S. Tha tsi why white rim liners are used by many. Easier to see a black inner tube against a white background.

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find anything
    relevant by searching.

    I've got a pair of 700c x 28 Panaracer Paselas that I intended to use
    on my commuter bike. I'm not exactly sure what the width of the rims
    are -- subjectively I'd describe them as being standard road-racing
    style rims. They're Arayas, and the previous tires were WTB Caminos
    700x23.

    I put the Paselas on and the intertube (@80 psi) on the rear started
    bulging out the side and popped. I figured I did something wrong and
    tried again. This time it worked fine, and I rode the tires a couple
    hundred miles before getting a puncture. After repairing the tube, I
    remounted the Pasela (again, the rear), pumped it to 80 psi, and the
    tube bulged and popped yet again.

    I've never had this bulging problem with any other tire, so I'm
    thinking that it's just too wide for the rim - but that's surprising to
    me as 28 mm seems pretty conservative for a "wide" tire.

    So do you think that the tire/rim combo just aren't compatible, or am I
    just incompetent when it comes to mounting tires?

    Thanks..

    kw tyre tyres

    If you're using a folding tire, you'll never get it to stay on an older
    Araya rim. Those rims often did not have a "hooked" bead and therefore are
    not capable of holding on to a pliable tire bead. . . use wire bead tires
    only on non-hook bead rims. . .

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.