Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

2004 Catrike Speed is on its way!

Started by Rocketman · · Last activity · 3 posts · 752 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
12 January 2005
Last activity
12 January 2005
Original author
Rocketman
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
752
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Before I begin my story, have a look at this archived email message from the
    recumbent trikes listserv from only 4 years ago:
    http://www.ihpva.org/pipermail/trikes/2000q1/000597.html

    It hasn't even been four years since Paulo Camasmie began producing Catrikes
    in the USA. He has already won Trike of the Year two years running in that
    short time.

    I've wanted a Catrike Speed since they were introduced; but I already had a
    nice late-80's-vintage Leibold tadpole trike, and couldn't justify the
    expense. I was tempted to foolishness too many times by Ebay deals, and
    have added 5 bikes to my stable (while in grad school) over the past couple
    of years. Anybody else here have a hard time parting with nice bikes or
    walking away from good deals? Then you know how it is.

    So, in the past several years, I've had some fun riding a M5 low racer, a
    RANS Rocket (great bike), doing club rides on my Soulcraft Royale (Spring
    Yellow, w/ DuraAce) and riding everywhere on my 2001 Klein Attitude (Aztec
    Gold), a WTB titanium hardtail, and 10 other bikes. All the while, I kept
    coming back to wondering what a really well-designed, speedy-yet-comfortable
    trike might be like.

    When I reviewed my cycling past, I knew that the most relaxing and fun
    pedaled vehicle I had owned was a tadpole trike. There's something
    wonderful about gliding to a stop at the edge of a trail to gaze at a hawk
    flying overhead, or at a lovely tree, without any need to clumsily dismount
    or worry about even balancing. It's effortless, as if the trike is truly an
    extension of one's body. There's nothing else like it.

    A couple of weeks ago, I got up the nerve to sell my beloved and rare
    Leibold trike on Ebay, and make the step up to the most expensive pedaled
    vehicle I have ever owned. With income now pouring in as never before, the
    $2095 price (including UPS shipping) didn't faze me too much. Prior to
    this, the most I have ever paid for a bike or trike is $1600 for a
    lightly-used DuraAce/Veloce equipped 2001 M5 Low Racer (Euro spec) from Ed
    Deaton at Fool's Crow in FL. The M5 was a sleek, heavy, fast, beast of a
    bike, which I thought I might never learn to ride; but which I actually miss
    sometimes. M5's are magic once you learn to ride them. They attract college
    co-eds like nothing I've ever seen. ;-)

    So, this past Monday, I bought a brand new 2004 Catrike Speed from Luke at
    Calhoun Cycle in Minneapolis. He had the best price I found (list price plus
    free Catrike fenders *and* headrest), he had the Speed in stock, offered
    knowledgeable advice and fast email response. I'm a happy customer.
    www.calhouncycle.com I spent several weeks thinking about which Catrike
    model to buy. The choice was very difficult; but I predict that Catrikes
    will be sold out very quickly this season. Better buy one real soon, and
    expect to wait a few weeks. I'm curious to see how many Pocket trikes are
    sold, since I predicted that a really nice sub-$1,500 performance-oriented
    trike would cause US trike sales to skyrocket. We shall see.

    Will the Catrike meet or exceed my expectations? Very probably. Paulo
    Camasmie's work speaks for itself, and the rave reviews and awards only
    confirm what is evident. He's an extremely clever engineer and a canny,
    dedicated, hard working businessman. He thinks outside the box, and has a
    rare eye for the aesthetic that seems lacking in the US recumbent market
    (OK...I said it). I have a feeling that the Catrike Speed may be one of
    those "keepers" that I hang onto for a long, long time.

    Barry
    AKA Rocketman

  2. Rocketman said:

    Before I begin my story, have a look at this archived email message from the
    recumbent trikes listserv from only 4 years ago:
    http://www.ihpva.org/pipermail/trikes/2000q1/000597.html

    It hasn't even been four years since Paulo Camasmie began producing Catrikes
    in the USA. He has already won Trike of the Year two years running in that
    short time.

    I've wanted a Catrike Speed since they were introduced; but I already had a
    nice late-80's-vintage Leibold tadpole trike, and couldn't justify the
    expense. I was tempted to foolishness too many times by Ebay deals, and
    have added 5 bikes to my stable (while in grad school) over the past couple
    of years. Anybody else here have a hard time parting with nice bikes or
    walking away from good deals? Then you know how it is.

    So, in the past several years, I've had some fun riding a M5 low racer, a
    RANS Rocket (great bike), doing club rides on my Soulcraft Royale (Spring
    Yellow, w/ DuraAce) and riding everywhere on my 2001 Klein Attitude (Aztec
    Gold), a WTB titanium hardtail, and 10 other bikes. All the while, I kept
    coming back to wondering what a really well-designed, speedy-yet-comfortable
    trike might be like...

    Former UIUC graduate student riding a RANS Rocket, a lowracer, and a
    trike. What a weirdo! 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - MS, UIUC-2001
    RANS Rocket, Sunset Lowracer, Dragonflyer Trike

  3. "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Rocketman said:

    Before I begin my story, have a look at this archived email message from
    the recumbent trikes listserv from only 4 years ago:
    http://www.ihpva.org/pipermail/trikes/2000q1/000597.html

    It hasn't even been four years since Paulo Camasmie began producing
    Catrikes in the USA. He has already won Trike of the Year two years
    running in that short time.

    I've wanted a Catrike Speed since they were introduced; but I already had
    a nice late-80's-vintage Leibold tadpole trike, and couldn't justify the
    expense. I was tempted to foolishness too many times by Ebay deals, and
    have added 5 bikes to my stable (while in grad school) over the past
    couple of years. Anybody else here have a hard time parting with nice
    bikes or walking away from good deals? Then you know how it is.

    So, in the past several years, I've had some fun riding a M5 low racer, a
    RANS Rocket (great bike), doing club rides on my Soulcraft Royale (Spring
    Yellow, w/ DuraAce) and riding everywhere on my 2001 Klein Attitude
    (Aztec Gold), a WTB titanium hardtail, and 10 other bikes. All the while,
    I kept coming back to wondering what a really well-designed,
    speedy-yet-comfortable trike might be like...

    Former UIUC graduate student riding a RANS Rocket, a lowracer, and a
    trike. What a weirdo! 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - MS, UIUC-2001
    RANS Rocket, Sunset Lowracer, Dragonflyer Trike


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great minds think alike, I guess ;-)

    Barry
    MS UIUC 2004
    2000 RANS Rocket
    2005 Catrike Speed

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.