rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

1st Century on a guni (long)

Started by David_Stone · · Last activity · 1 post · 234 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
12 September 2005
Last activity
12 September 2005
Original author
David_Stone
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
234
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I very nearly completed 100 miles on a guni today (11 Sept, 2005), held
    back at the end more by time constraints than physical exhaustion or
    discomfort.

    "Transportation Alternatives" sponsored the annual event, which takes
    bicyclists and me thruout NYC. The ride was set to start at 6am for
    100-milers, but due to terrible planning and disorg. on their part, most
    of us weren't able to get our bibs till 6:30 or later, so I didn't leave
    the starting area till 6:45. The ride starts in Manhattan at 110th
    Street, the upper limit of Central Park.

    The first leg of the ride mysteriously took riders uptown for a mile
    before heading down to Brooklyn. As I did two years ago, I didn't bother
    with the ride route thru Manhattan, which took people down the streets,
    with lots of start-and-stop due to traffic lights; rather, I rode down
    the beautiful West Side Path, a few miles longer but much faster. This
    path also put me very close to the site of the World Trade Centers,
    which I thought was important on this terrible anniversary.

    I caught up with the riders at the Brooklyn Bridge and was able to zip
    past many of them, allowing me to use my favorite phrase of the day, "On
    your left!" By now, I was really enjoying the speed of the geared 29"
    uni. The ride wended its way thru the part of Brooklyn that I use on my
    daily commute, so it was great riding on familiar streets, and soon we
    were at the famed Carousel in Prospect Park, drinking Accelerade
    (courtesy of the Accelerade company, one of the sponsors of the ride).
    This was the only time I was able to get ahold of the drink, which is
    like a protein-enhanced Gatorade, because the sponsor hadn't supplied
    enough drink mix to meet the needs of the 5,000+ riders.

    Leaving the Carousel, the ride headed right past my house, so I had to
    drop in and squeeze the kids. It was also a nice chance to use a
    bathroom that didn't smell like a blue chemical. A few minutes later, I
    was on my way, my drink bladder as full as my own bladder was empty.

    Next the ride took in the outer limits of Brooklyn, which accounted for
    about 45 miles of the route. It's mainly flat and a bit bumpy, and I
    noticed (when I had to stop now and then to stretch my vegetables) that
    I was maintaining an average speed of 11.6 mph, not including rest
    stops. Bicyclists routinely gave me thumbs up and were verbally
    encouraging and curious ("How far you planning to ride?" the most
    popular question of the day). Their praise was just as important as the
    bananas and Gatorade that I consumed along the route.

    As for the actual riding, it was also encouraging that I continually ran
    into the same people, many of them fairly fit, suggesting that their
    average pace was about the same as mine. It's neat to be able to ride a
    unicycle as fast as many people can bike. I never switched gears during
    the first 50 miles of riding because the roads were pretty flat and
    because I was feeling good. These factors came to an ugly ending in
    Queens, the worst part of the overall ride.

    Queens is hilly. It's not as well-known for its hills as the Pyrenees or
    the Alps, but that's only becuase it's on a smaller scale. It seems that
    there aren't two consecutive residential streets in Queens that are
    flat, and at this point I began having to use the low gear, tho I still
    used high gear most of the time. I saw my average speed slip closer to
    11 mph as Queens wore me out. Worse still, the ride disorganizers had
    chosen to skip a traditional rest stop point, so we were riding
    "straight" for 35 miles. Most of us stopped at least twice to replenish
    drinks, stretch our veggies, and give our aching seats a rest, and I was
    lucky enough to meet a generous biker who gave me a spare minitube of
    butt cream, a moment that definitely proved pivotal in my ability to
    continue since I was developing some serious saddle soreness. Finally
    the rest stop appeared, and I applied the cream, chatted with friends
    (including a colleague and some members of my uni club), complained, and
    rested. At this point, I had to decide whether I was really going to go
    for at least 75 miles or maybe just 55, as the ride has different routes
    depending on your goals. I chose to go the 75-100 mile route.

    There were a few more rest stops left, tho as usual I created my own as
    my legs were jellying somewhat and my saddle soreness was only
    moderately under control. I continued seeing familiar faces and hearing
    encouraging words, both of which continued to inspire me greatly as I
    headed for the mile-62 rest area, but at this point, I was strongly
    considering taking a taxi back home because I suddenly remembered
    another fault of the ride officials. They always list the ride options
    as "15, 35, 55, 75, or 100 miles," but in fact, no route except the 15
    is even close to the stated distance, suggesting that they just really
    like having numbers that end in 5. In fact, the routes are more like 15,
    40, 62, 86, and 109. When I realized how much riding I had left and how
    little time (thanks to that late start), I knew that a Century was out
    of the Q, so I set my sights on meeting my family after the 86 mile
    route -- they had driven into Manhattan to pick me up. Along this
    stretch of Queens, I realized the the organizers had gotten one thing
    right. They planned the route to include a long stretch on "9/11
    Memorial Way," a street that commemorates some of those who died 4 years
    ago in the WTC attack. Every few blocks, another side street had been
    renamed for a local person who had died that day, a very somber reminder
    of what day it was.

    There was a final rest stop at mile 75, but it was mile 79 for me on
    account of some extra riding I'd done on the day. I gobbled down another
    peanut butter pita, replenished my water supply, and rested with friends
    before heading the last 6 miles to the finish. Somehow even this
    distance was off, and it turned into 11 miles, getting me to the end
    with a total of 90 miles under my belt. I also had nothing to drink for
    the last hour of the ride because my water system malfunctioned.

    I was disappointed at not being able to go the whole hundred on my guni
    (I wanted to be the first to ride a Century on a guni, another of my
    inspirations during the ride), but I was happy that I'd been able to
    maintain an average speed of 10.5 mph while riding just under 9 hours.
    Including the rest I took, my average speed was a more pedestrian 8 mph,
    but who's counting. I also consoled myself with the fact that the night
    before the ride, I'd ridden 13.5 miles from my house to my mom's, so in
    24 hours, I'd managed 103.

    Arriving at the finish, to my amazement, there were still free water
    bottles and tee-shirts to be had at the end, the only items they had not
    run out of. Sponsors who didn't come up with enough of the goods
    included Accelerade, Ben and Jerry's, and Naked (fruit drinks).

    I bought more Gatorade and drove the family home, where I too a lengthy
    bath before putting my youngest to bed. A few minutes later, I was
    asleep, too, tho by 1:45 I was up again, writing this note. I'm glad
    that I can still take stairs two at a time and that my back isn't sore
    and that my butt is healing well, and I'm amazed that it didn't hurt to
    pee all day (when I did the ride two years ago, it hurt for 2 days).
    Maybe a KH seat trumps the more comfortable Sem seat I rode in 2003, or
    maybe it was the 2nd pair of cycle shorts that I was wearing.

    I don't think I'll be attempting another Century any time soon, but it
    was a blast being able to put in so many miles in one day on my guni. It
    held up great. It was also fantastic to put to the test my own idea that
    at a given moment, I could ride at least 50 miles even tho my commute is
    only 9 total miles a day.

    Good night!

    --
    David_Stone - New York Unicycle Club

    Dictator for Life,
    NYUC
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43252

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.