Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

1980s Peugeot Marseilles bicycle

Started by jkwon19 · · Last activity · 1 post · 836 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 May 2004
Last activity
1 May 2004
Original author
jkwon19
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
836
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I have a Peugeot Marseilles bicycle from the late 1980s; it
    was my bike when I was in high school. I pulled it out of
    the storage shed and it's in pretty sad shape, but it holds
    some sentimental value for
    me. It's too small for me today, but I've often thought of
    putting some work into it to get it into working shape,
    and maybe giving it to someone who could use it.

    I can't find much information about this bike on the web;
    I'm not even sure it qualifies as a "French" bicycle, as I'm
    not sure what the state of the Peugeot company was at that
    time in history.

    I rode that bike everywhere back then; I can even remember
    all the problems I had with it:

    * SIS index shifters that never indexed quite properly.
    * A "skipping" crank/bottom bracket. On some pedal
    revolutions, the cranks would "slip" a little and then
    catch again, accompanied with a "popping" noise. The
    problem existed from the start, no matter how many times I
    took it to the shop it was never corrected. Of course, I
    didn't know any better back then, and in retrospect, I
    don't have that high an opinion of the shop I visited.
    * Wheels that didn't seem to line up properly when seated in
    the hangers. I'm not sure whether it was a frame alignment
    issue from the start, or if it was related to the one
    crash I had ...

    I had one crash, where another cyclist ran into my rear
    wheel from the side and taco'ed it. I replaced it at the
    time with a brand new wheel. But I seem to remember both
    wheels having alignment issues, where I could never get the
    brakes to line up properly with the rims (if the wheels were
    seated fully in the hangers, it seemed like the wheels were
    skewed relative to the rest of the frame).

    From this description, if the frame does have alignment
    problems, how difficult would it be to correct those? I'm
    guessing the whole project will likely be a costly
    undertaking, both in finances and time, but part of me wants
    to do it just for the satisfaction (and the learning).

    Jason

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.