Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

105 STI Shifters: Can I change chaingring sizes?

Started by xkred27 · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,773 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 March 2008
Last activity
22 March 2008
Original author
xkred27
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,773
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Howdy.

    I have a standard Shimano 105 group, including STI brifters and 52-42-30. As my age in years equals the number of teeth on my large chainring :eek: , I find I want a serious granny, like a 26. But since both front and rear shifters are indexed, I'm thinking that I'm locked into these specific chainring sizes. True?

    I know it's not an FD capacity issue, b/c I have another ride (but with SRAM twist shifters) where the same 105 FD handles 50-38-24 just fine.

    An alternative I'm also considering is a 46-36-26 touring crankset. Any hope of the 105 STI brifters working with these? Thanks. Peter.

  2. xkred27 said:

    Howdy.

    I have a standard Shimano 105 group, including STI brifters and 52-42-30. As my age in years equals the number of teeth on my large chainring :eek: , I find I want a serious granny, like a 26. But since both front and rear shifters are indexed, I'm thinking that I'm locked into these specific chainring sizes. True?

    I know it's not an FD capacity issue, b/c I have another ride (but with SRAM twist shifters) where the same 105 FD handles 50-38-24 just fine.

    An alternative I'm also considering is a 46-36-26 touring crankset. Any hope of the 105 STI brifters working with these? Thanks. Peter.

    As long as the relationship to the chainrings remains about the same, no problem. With the 50/38/24 works because you lowered the FD for 50t. If it was higher for a 52/38/26(4), it may not work well but a '10s' FD, made for a 52/39/30 probably would.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.