compact geometry hell

Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<40524995$0$41296$a1866 [email protected]>...
>> carlfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Dear Rick,
>> >
>> > Not even a door?
>> >
>> > Sylvia Plath
>>
>> jesus, carl, that's in pretty bad taste. i mean even
>> for you.
>
> Dear David,
>
> Just what I thought when I came home and wanted to warm up
> my dinner.
>
> Ted Hughes

i don't think she actually had the oven turned on.
just the gas.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Originally posted by David Reuteler
Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<40524995$0$41296$a1866 [email protected]>...
>> carlfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Dear Rick,
>> >
>> > Not even a door?
>> >
>> > Sylvia Plath
>>
>> jesus, carl, that's in pretty bad taste. i mean even
>> for you.
>
> Dear David,
>
> Just what I thought when I came home and wanted to warm up
> my dinner.
>
> Ted Hughes

i don't think she actually had the oven turned on.
just the gas.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Dear David,

Well, no, that would have been a half-baked idea
and uncomfortably hot.

See

http://www.jamesreich.com/plath-ariel.html

which says:

In Rough Magic (1991), Paul Alexander describes Plath’s suicide:

She opened the window in the children’s room; then, going into the hall, sealed the room shut behind her by stuffing towels into the crack at the sill jamb and taping up the top and two sides. The children’s safety secured, Sylvia went downstairs and sealed herself in the kitchen. Again, towels under the door, tape over the cracks. Finally, in the heart of the blue hour, that part of the early morning during which she had written her best poems, Sylvia Plath opened the oven door, folded a cloth on which she could rest her cheek, turned on the gas full-tilt, and, kneeling down on the floor before the oven, rested her cheek on the folded cloth she had placed on the oven door.

[end quote]

For the suicidally inclined, it's worth pointing out that,
despite the absurd purple prose of the passage above,
gas may be the worst method, since the house filled
with fumes may well explode, ignited by furnaces,
electric doorbells, or static sparks off the rug from the
shoes of those unlucky enough to be first on the
scene.

Far better to put a few rocks in your pocket and
go for a walk in the Ouse, leaving no abandoned
children behind.

V. Woolf

Originally posted by Qui Si Parla Ca
froteur-<< I opted for a sloping design. I did so because I
am 5'2" and the sloping seat tube gives me much better stand
over room. I think I would be one of the group that Mr
Chisolm feels a compact geometry is appropriate for.
>><BR><BR>

It's ChisHolm and yes, your dimensions do make compact a
good idea for you.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

OOOOPS ... sorry .. i can spell but i can't type. :)

carlfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> See
>
> http://www.jamesreich.com/plath-ariel.html
>
> which says:

i got my version from a A. Alvarez's "The Savage God: A
Study of Suicide" a cheery little volume that does its duty
in my library. page 52 of the prologue (which is all about
sylvia plath). i won't quote it, but it's pretty similiar to
the one you referenced except that it adds that sylvia plath
was discovered with a note that said, "Please call Dr. -"
with his phone number. that is, it probably wasn't a serious
attempt and it's likely she was expecting to be found.
--

David Reuteler wrote:
> jesus, carl, that's in pretty bad taste. i mean even
> for you.

Our box of razor knives used to say "Judy Garland
Impersonator Kit" I can't print what they say now.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

Originally posted by David Reuteler
carlfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> See
>
> http://www.jamesreich.com/plath-ariel.html
>
> which says:

i got my version from a A. Alvarez's "The Savage God: A
Study of Suicide" a cheery little volume that does its duty
in my library. page 52 of the prologue (which is all about
sylvia plath). i won't quote it, but it's pretty similiar to
the one you referenced except that it adds that sylvia plath
was discovered with a note that said, "Please call Dr. -"
with his phone number. that is, it probably wasn't a serious
attempt and it's likely she was expecting to be found.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Dear David,

Alas, they're all serious. (In this case, what more
could she have done to prove that she was
serious?)

The game of trying to distinguish the suicidal
gesture from the true attempt is about as helpful
as the game of trying to decide whether John
Hinckley is really over Jody Foster.

(To the embarrassment of the psychiatrists who
repeatedly pronounced Hinckley well-adjusted,
searches of his room kept turning up dozens of
new pictures of the actress.)

As for Plath, her first known suicide attempt came
at the age of 21 and also included a note:

". . . in August of 1953, Sylvia makes her first
attempt at suicide. She leaves a note for her mother,
saying she has gone for a long walk and will be back
the next morning. Aurelia finds that a steel locked
case containing sleeping pills is broken and the pills
are missing. Sylvia's disappearance is made public
on the the radio and in newspapers after Aurelia
calls the police. Three days passed before Warren
Plath discovered Sylvia tucked away in a space in
the Plath's cellar wall. She has crawled into the
small hole with a glass of water and the bottle of
sleeping pills. She was hospitalized and treated . . ."

"In 1962, after Nicholas is born, Sylvia drives her
car off the road in what she later describes as a
suicide attempt . . ."

[Third time's a charm!"]

"In January of 1963, Sylvia is alone with her two
young children at Fitzroy Road, poor, during a
furiously cold winter, while Ted was off in Spain
cavorting with Assia Wevill. This undoubtedly
contributed to Sylvia's mental anguish, though
the exact reason for her death will never be known.
It was on the morning of February 11, 1963 that
Sylvia ended her life. Her suicide was painstakingly
executed. She carefully protected her children by
sealing off their room with towels and tape, opening
their window, and she left food for them. Sylvia died
by carbon monoxide poisoning from her oven. If she
wrote a suicide note, it hasn't been made public."

http://www.valkyrieshaunt.com/plath/plathbio.html

While "painstakingly executed" (probably an
unintentional pun), Plath's suicide actually serves
to underline Erwin Stengel's verdict on the suicidal
impulse:

"Most people, in committing a suicidal act, are just
as muddled as when they do anything important under
emotional stress. Carefully planned acts of suicide
are as rare as carefully planned acts of homicide."

Plath, for example, never made a will, so control of
her literary estate and the poems and prose that were
supposedly the most important things in her world went
to her estranged husband--hardly careful planning.

Carl Fogel