compact geometry hell

"Robert Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Evan Evans wrote:
>
> > Derk <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > That's an understatement: the guy who designs the
> > > paintwork seems to
be
> > > colour blind to me.
> > >
> > > Greets, Derk
> >
> > What is up with colnago's paint colors? I would love to
> > own one. I'm sure thay ride wonderfully , but whoever
> > came up with the idea to put eye-balls on every tube
> > lost me as a customer.
>
> Would you be happier if you could see them eyes as little
> suns with
asteroid belts orbiting them?

> ;-)
>
> Try to get hold of a 2002 model. I think mine's called
> D23N. Not an
eyeball to be seen, just nice
> little rainbows. Or try this year's Classic in D11N
> scheme, or this year's
Mix in PR23 scheme (if
> you want the eyeballs/planets to be replaced by some cute
> little wavy
Estonian flags . . .).

> Or just respray the damn thing Bianchi green.
>
> /Robert

Nah, Italian Racing Red is THE color!

Sure beats that wimpy British Racing Green... mmmm Jag E-
Type, Triumph TR6, my little Midget, mmmm...

OT: I miss that little skateboard of a car called the MG
Midget! Talk about a fun thing to drive around in. So
maneuverable, quick (vs. fast), and simple. Its so simple,
they even forgot to get the electrics right in most! Mine
ran like a top, but the electrics were "interesting" to say
the least. If I hadn't t-boned a Beretta in it, I was going
to rip out the wiring harness and re-do it.

Mike

Mike S. wrote:

> ... Sure beats that wimpy British Racing Green... mmmm Jag
> E-Type, Triumph TR6, my little Midget, mmmm...
>
> OT: I miss that little skateboard of a car called the MG
> Midget! Talk about a fun thing to drive around in. So
> maneuverable, quick (vs. fast), and simple. Its so simple,
> they even forgot to get the electrics right in most! Mine
> ran like a top, but the electrics were "interesting" to
> say the least. If I hadn't t-boned a Beretta in it, I was
> going to rip out the wiring harness and re-do it.

I still have a MG Midget (I think). It last ran in 1989,
when I gave up on it as being the most unreliable piece of
machinery ever invented. While it was fun to drive, it was
not fun sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow-
truck. Practically everthing electrical and mechnical on it
had problems.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > OT: I miss that little skateboard of a car called the MG
> > Midget! Talk about a fun thing to drive around in. So
> > maneuverable, quick (vs. fast), and simple. Its so
> > simple, they even forgot to get the electrics right in
> > most! Mine ran like a top, but the electrics were
> > "interesting" to say the least.
>
> They say that the reason British people prefer warm beer
> is that they all have Lucas refrigerators.

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

The way they maintained their uniformly abysmal quality was
to pack their products in brine and send them by the slowest
boat available.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Mike S. wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Mike S. wrote:
>>>
>>> When was the last time you saw a Manitou mtn bike. Even
>>> better, when was the last time you saw a mtn bike WITH
>>> NO SHOCK? (being ridden off-road that is)
>>
>> Umm, like, Saturday. (No derailleurs, either.)
>>
>> Bill "lots of rigid mtb's out there (not mine, mind you
>> -- gimme gears 'n squish)" S.
>>
> SS mtn bikes are a different critter than what the pic
> was. Those SS guys are PROUD to be retro "ouch that rock
> HURT!" kinda guys.

True, but you asked "when was the last time you saw a mtn
bike WITH NO SHOCK?"

I see fully rigid mtb's all the time (both SS and geared).

Bill "the gearies are usually entry-level; SS's usually
higher grade" S.

Ted Bennett wrote:

> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> They say that the reason British people prefer warm beer
>> is that they all have Lucas refrigerators.

> The way they maintained their uniformly abysmal quality
> was to pack their products in brine and send them by the
> slowest boat available.

...and then they sealed the brine in with Waxoyl...

Matt O.

Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > OT: I miss that little skateboard of a car called the
> > > MG Midget! Talk about a fun thing to drive around in.
> > > So maneuverable, quick (vs. fast), and simple. Its so
> > > simple, they even forgot to get the electrics right in
> > > most! Mine ran like a top, but the electrics were
> > > "interesting" to say the least.
> >
> > They say that the reason British people prefer warm beer
> > is that they all have Lucas refrigerators.
>

> Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.
>
> The way they maintained their uniformly abysmal quality
> was to pack their products in brine and send them by the
> slowest boat available.

Dear David,

If motorcycles were wide enough for bumper stickers, these
are some of the things that we wanted to put on fenders
attached to Lucas-powered lights, ignitions, and horns
thirty years ago:

Joe Lucas--Prince of Darkness! Joe Lucas says, "Don't ride
in the dark!" Joe Lucas says, "That IS the high beam!"

Joe Lucas says, "Kick it again--it might wake up!" Joe
Lucas says, "Not slippery when wet--immobile!" Joe Lucas
says, "Don't ride when it's wet!"

Joe Lucas says, "Don't squeeze so hard--it's not a
bulb horn!"

Back then I was young and trusting, but now I wonder whether
there was an actual Joe, whose designs were deeply flawed
because the light over his drafting table had burnt out, or
if he was just an urban legend like Martha Stewart.

Carl Fogel

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:20:51 -0800, Mike S. wrote:
>

> > OT: I miss that little skateboard of a car called the MG
> > Midget! Talk about a fun thing to drive around in. So
> > maneuverable, quick (vs. fast), and simple. Its so
> > simple, they even forgot to get the electrics right in
> > most! Mine ran like a top, but the electrics were
> > "interesting" to say the least.
>
> They say that the reason British people prefer warm beer
> is that they all have Lucas refrigerators.

Refrigerators are allegedly the most reliable household
appliances, due to the minimal number of moving parts, but
I'm sure that Lucas, in their heyday, could STILL have
messed one up.

The reason we like 'warm' (a few degrees below room temp)
beer is due to the fact that you can actually _taste_ beer
at that temp, and good English style beer tastes good :)

Pete

Ningi wrote:

> The reason we like 'warm' (a few degrees below room temp)
> beer is due to the fact that you can actually _taste_ beer
> at that temp, and good English style beer tastes good :)

This is true, on both points. Maybe our (American) beer is
better cold!

Matt O.

On 12 Mar 2004 12:49:21 -0800, [email protected] (Ningi) wrote:
>Refrigerators are allegedly the most reliable household
>appliances, due to the minimal number of moving parts, but
>I'm sure that Lucas, in their heyday, could STILL have
>messed one up.

My oven has no moving parts whatsoever.
--
Rick Onanian

Originally posted by Rick Onanian
On 12 Mar 2004 12:49:21 -0800, [email protected] (Ningi) wrote:
>Refrigerators are allegedly the most reliable household
>appliances, due to the minimal number of moving parts, but
>I'm sure that Lucas, in their heyday, could STILL have
>messed one up.

My oven has no moving parts whatsoever.
--
Rick Onanian

Dear Rick,

Not even a door?

Sylvia Plath

[email protected] (Ningi) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The reason we like 'warm' (a few degrees below room temp)
> beer is due to the fact that you can actually _taste_ beer
> at that temp, and good English style beer tastes good :)
>
> Pete

Not to worry, the rooms in the UK are so damn cold that the
beer usually frosty.

Originally posted by Appkiller
Mr Chisholm intoned:

> Compact, like a lot of things 'bike' is being foisted onto the consumer.

So, you're implying that there is something WRONG with compact bikes - other than aesthetics.
Specifically, what is it?

Do the frames fall apart? Are they physically less comfortable than standard geometry bikes? Is the
exposed length of seatpost a failure danger?

I understand the sizing issues - but when almost all bikes are already only manufactured in
essentially symmetrical sizing (e.g., 56 TT, 56 ST) this kinda goes away as issue that sets standard
geometry apart from compact. ALL non-custom frames will present fit issues for one segment of the
market or another.

I have had discussions with many riders of compact frames and have examined bike setup on their
bikes. My totally unscientific findings are that the compact frame actually allows for a wider
variety of position, especially in light of one of the other favorite gripes of the retro grouch,
the dreaded threadless headset, which limits bar position.

I know that many think compact frames are "ugly", especially fans of classic steel, but if they
represent value to the customer, and minor salvation for the bike industry, what's wrong with that?

App

I am an owner of a )sort of) classic steel framed bike. a circa 1973 Gitane Tour de France. I've always liked that geometry and the lugged steel bike look. However, when it came time to buy a new bike this month, I opted for a sloping design. I did so because I am 5'2" and the sloping seat tube gives me much better stand over room. I think I would be one of the group that Mr Chisolm feels a compact geometry is appropriate for. So far I love my new bike (especially since I was on 30 year old technology before this).

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike S. wrote:
>
> > ... Sure beats that wimpy British Racing Green... mmmm
> > Jag E-Type, Triumph
TR6,
> > my little Midget, mmmm...
> >
> > OT: I miss that little skateboard of a car called the MG
> > Midget! Talk
about
> > a fun thing to drive around in. So maneuverable, quick
> > (vs. fast), and simple. Its so simple, they even forgot
> > to get the electrics right in
most!
> > Mine ran like a top, but the electrics were
> > "interesting" to say the
least.
> > If I hadn't t-boned a Beretta in it, I was going to rip
> > out the wiring harness and re-do it.
>
> I still have a MG Midget (I think). It last ran in 1989,
> when I gave up on it as being the most unreliable piece of
> machinery ever invented. While it was fun to drive, it was
> not fun sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow-
> truck. Practically everthing electrical and mechnical on
> it had problems.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Damn! Too bad you're not closer to San Diego! I'd offer to
take it off your hands. I do not want to drive to Ill for
one though...

Mike

> Ningi wrote:
>
> > The reason we like 'warm' (a few degrees below room
> > temp) beer is due to the fact that you can actually
> > _taste_ beer at that temp, and good English style beer
> > tastes good :)
>
> This is true, on both points. Maybe our (American) beer is
> better cold!
>
> Matt O.

American beer tastes like shite. Nice thing is that if you
keep them cold enough, you can't taste them.

I like drinking some of the darker American beers: Sam Adams
and the like. They're better towards the bottom when they
warm up a bit. Hey! That sounds like what the brits do from
the start...

Mike

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> carlfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dear Rick,
> >
> > Not even a door?
> >
> > Sylvia Plath
>
> jesus, carl, that's in pretty bad taste. i mean even
> for you.

Dear David,

Just what I thought when I came home and wanted to warm up
my dinner.

Ted Hughes

froteur-<< I opted for a sloping design. I did so because I
am 5'2" and the sloping seat tube gives me much better stand
over room. I think I would be one of the group that Mr
Chisolm feels a compact geometry is appropriate for.
>><BR><BR>

It's ChisHolm and yes, your dimensions do make compact a
good idea for you.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:31:25 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>That smacks of rationalization. But, for me, real 'Merican
>beer better be very cold, or it tastes like the diluted
>beaver **** that it is.

Hmm...maybe I ought to get a pet beaver. You know, free
beer and all.

Actually, this thread could now get VERY dirty VERY fast...
--

<[email protected]> wrote:
>That smacks of rationalization. But, for me, real 'Merican
>beer better be very cold, or it tastes like the diluted
>beaver **** that it is.

Hmm...maybe I ought to get a pet beaver. You know, free
beer and all.

Actually, this thread could now get VERY dirty VERY fast...
--
Rick Onanian

Dear Rick,

Since Mr. Rogers is gone, it's up to the likes of
me to hear your concern and think of the children.

Last week, I left rather late on my daily ride,
having wasted too much time on pesky clients
who should have kept their computer problems
to themselves.

It was getting on toward sunset, but things
were going well and I was thinking about how
it was all going to work out just fine when I
rolled past a large beaver, who was heading
in the opposite direction.

At this point, the two-lane highway runs between
a hundred-and-fifty-foot bluff and the half-mile
pond of a sand and gravel company, beyond
which lies the Arkansas River. A modest hill
hid the pond and river from the errant rodent.

Experience suggested that the beaver had
cleverly found the six-inch-deep drainage
ditch on the bluff-side of the highway and
proposed to make its home there until such
time as it perished under some startled
driver's wheels.

Cursing, I stopped and walked my bike back
to escort the wayward creature to more
suitable quarters. (Snapping turtles are
easier--you just slide a hand in under the
shell from the back and carry them.)

The beaver shuffled along in the prairie
grass by the road while I offered a reassuring
stream of inane chatter (effortlessly, as you
might guess). Occasionally, some particularly
objectionable comment would be too much
for the beaver, which would spin to the side
and slap its tail at me in disapproval. It's hard
to think of a more pathetic sight than a worried
beaver slapping its tail on dry prairie grass.

After a slow quarter of a mile, we cleared the
small hill and I chivvied the poor beast across
the road and eventually to the large pond,
where it waddled in and then lay stretched
out in the cold water in the twilight, apparently
luxuriating after what must have been a hot,
unpleasant, and frightening forced march over
dry ground on sore paws, pursued by a strange
babbling creature with two wheels.

Then I rode home cautiously in the dark.

So there you are--nothing dirty, no beer,
not even a suicidal poet. You and David can
stop worrying now, turn out the lights, and
go to sleep.

Beatrix Potter