LI Muni weekend from a novice's perspective

steveyo

Guest
Wow! Firstly thanks to Adam (JustOneWheel) and Renie for the deluxe
accomodations. Bagels and lox, biallies (sp? - I think some of the
guys didn't even know what those were), coffee, juice, big screen TV
with a Brian MacKenzie uni vid playing, and an authentic Brian
MacKenzie sitting right there, too! They even have a high cieling for
juggling - wow!

By 9 AM all were gathered on the front lawn, along with an amazing
assortment of unicycles and related contraptions, in the fine, cold
sunshine of late autumn. The brisk breeze made a few of us add an
extra layer. We came from ONT, CT, NJ, PA, upstate (the -other- NY),
and probably more places. We drove, we came by planes, trains, taxis,
and probably a boat or two, too. Riders ranged from age 9 (I think
Unipsychler's two elder sons Daniel and Brian were around ages 10 and
9) to the oldest of us at the age...errm...well, that's not polite to
discuss, but it might be me anyway.

We crammed the wheels and people into cars and followed Adam to a
parking lot near a trail system (Adam may be able to supply the names
of these places). Everyone and their cycles spilled out of the cars
and started hopping and spinning and generally doing tricks that had my
jaw dropping. The younger hotshots immediately starting pedal grabbing
this 3 foot high wooden post, maybe 8" square. Grab, up to rubber, off
the drop, "Next"!

After the usual delays of getting a bunch of people moving there was a
group photo and we headed down a dirt road. Now, when I learned uni, I
become aware of possessing an unusual skill and so it was, for me,
surreal to see that many unicyclists on a trail, or anywhere, for that
matter. I'd entered a new universe. Would I see any two legged deer?

We took a right and pedaled down a beautiful mellow single track which
soon ended at a steep ravine. Brian MacKenzie said "Oh we should film
dropping off here" as if it was a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
But then, even more oddly, a bunch of the riders, Joel, Nick, Dan,
NJ-Brian, Taylor (young hotshot), and I'm forgetting some other hot
riders' names, actually seemed to take Brian's suggestion seriously!

Then they began scoping out lines and landings like extreme skiers from
the cliffs-of-insanity (maybe I'm exaggerating) down into the gully's
center. Still acting like nothing was wrong with them, they proceeded
to ride, leap and slide their unicycles down the thing! It was crazy,
Brian aiming his camera from all angles and rider after rider dropping
off, then scrambling back up for another run.

Their antics got me psyched enough to attempt (several times) the
relatively gradual center line in the ravine, though it was, by far,
the trickiest thing I've ever tried. Fortunately for my ego, there was
a carpet of slippery leaves conviently placed to provide a ready excuse
for not "cleaning the line". These leaves also protected my posterior
and so were a double blessing.

After a while we got back on the trail, which now took a turn down a
slope on the most pleasing, serpentine set of banks and turns ever
graced by a single-track. I repeated (er...attempted) that section
four times on three different unicycles, just because it was so cool,
and I kept thinking "This is Long Island?!?" At the bottom of those
switchbacks was a set of logs and rocks which became the next filming
venue. While the pros worked the heck out of their trials lines and
MacKenzie did his filming stuff, me and Jay, our MTB tour guide, and a
few other uniers rode other bits of the trail system. It was
fantastic, all tight-turning single-track in the early winter
sun-dappled trees.

Another spot had a skinny log ending in a nice dropoff where the guys
did side-kick and foot-off moves. Here Brian used his ground-angle
camera technique, riding just behind Nick, I believe, who was just
getting sick air. Way cool.

At this point I had a totally flat tire, and a broken spoke as the
kicker. I walked/jogged back to the car with Taylor's dad Rob kindly
keeping me company on his MTB. Rob then lent me their extra 24" DX and
we went back find the group. The trails there, however, are such a
maze, we rode aimlessly for too long, and ended up getting a cell phone
call from Adam in the parking lot "Where the @$##$% are you guys?", and
he talked us out of the woods. Rob and I were relating our own vast
experiences in the Adirondacks and were joking about a newspaper
headline like "Two men lost in LI wilderness found hungry and cold
after two days, claim to be experienced outdoorsmen".

So we left this trail mecca and drove to our next spot. After many of
us bought a bad hot-dog from a truck at this new trailhead, we rode off
down this new trail, again a narrow, twisting, rolling-hill, banked
turn single-track. We soon came to a downhill leading into a boulder
garden and the next trials and filming stop. Among the attractions
were a couple of logs, including one tree broken over about 5 or 6 feet
off the forest floor which Joel took a liking to. With Brian M's
camera rolling, he climbed up, got his uni handed up to him, and rode
20-some feet to the end and calmly leaped into the jagged boulders
below. He stuck the landing, and then climbed up and did it again.
Holy cow.

Again, I was motivated to try (around a thousand times) a nice section
with a rock jump unlike anything in my uni experience near where all
the hot doggers were filming. What a feeling to actually get air on
one wheel and stay in control (sometimes).

Then Adam says "we gotta go to this other place out by Jones Beach",
which he promised has huge stuff to jump around on. We followed him
into what looked like a post-apocalyptic landscape filled with piles of
broken concrete things in various shapes. More filming, much more
hopping, gapping, grabbing, these guys just blew me away with their
control and the jumps they committed to, and then just stuck, time and
again. There were some biffs, too, but I don't think anyone got hurt
too bad.

I worked on a "novice trial line", with a 6 inch gap followed by a two
foot drop, something I've never even considered before that day, and
stuck it...after only 20 or so tries. :cool:

I had to split to rejoin my family in Manhattan at 4PM, but the LI Muni
weekenders were still visible in my rear view mirror as I drove out of
that place. Silhouetted in the low-slanted sunbeams of early winter
twilight I saw them back there, one hand up high, and just one wheel
underneath them.

--
steveyo

--
steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

I felt like I was there.... thanks Steve!

And yes, Brian is an awesome rider, and happens to be a really nice guy
too!

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Great Detail Steve....I felt like I was there......oh wait I was!! :eek:

Adam and Renie are truly the best hosts. She put up with all us crazy
mud-people in her house. :D

I posted some pics for everyone to follow from your description.

http://tinyurl.com/aoowr

--
shibumi

Jeff

"Everyone is my equal, in that I may learn from them." Quote from 'All
in the Family'
shibumi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8816

ok this weekend was wicked aweosme, eh? it was cold, but the muni riding
is awesome there! i will be sure to go back when the weather is better.
cokering off that drop was sweet. i cannot thank adam and renie enough
for feeding me and housing me. boy do i eat a lot! adam's basement is
awesome, with its asteroids and mrs. pac-man im sad that i missed the
sweet rock trials for naptime, and then it got worse the next day when
we had to ride around freezing new york city looking for people and
then ride miles to the spot where the meeting was. on the plus side i
got to see new york up close and ride two unis i had not ridden before,
the geared 29er and the sideways uni. all in all i had a great time,
cant wait for the next time!

--
shadowuni

"No one is taller than the last man standing"
My Give-A-Damn's Busted
"Bullets! My only weakness! How did you know?" - Cop
(I <3 Coker) "Maybe it means I have less than three cokers" - Klaas
Bil
"I think it means I AM less than three cokers" - Daino149
shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

Alas - I neglected some others' names in attendance.

Jeff "Shibumi" was cranking a gnarly 3X24 muni, and Ultimate-wheel Dave
was, well, on his ultimate wheel ON the muni trail. Hope I'm not
forgetting anyone.

--
steveyo

--
steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Great write-up. The essence of MUni, and especially of group MUni
rides, is going out and trying things that you didn't think you could
do. I take a lot of people out on their first MUni rides, and you can
always tell the guys who are going to be good in the long run--they're
the ones going back and re-trying the things that knock them off, going
for steeps and drops and not really worrying about whether they'll biff
at the bottom. Sounds like you've got the knack!

I only got to ride on the Long Island trails for a couple of hours when
I was back east this summer, but I'll be sure to get out there again
the next time I'm around on family business. A real treasure just an
LIRR ride from downtown Manhattan.

--
tholub

I will be posting alot of great pictures from the weekend in the next
few days.
I am in the middle of setting up my gallery. Keep an eye out for them.
Renie really took some great action shots.

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exersize. "UNICYCLE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

Great write up Steve!
It was a pleasure to meet and ride with you.
Yes Adam and Renie did it again. They opened up their house to us all
and made us feel right at home. Feeding us and making sure we got to
ride all that L.I. had to offer. Adam and Renie did an outstanding
job finding great areas for Muni and trials as well. From the old
abandoned car in the woods to my new favorite trials playground I can
honestly say I can't wait to get back there for more riding. Every
time I drive along a stretch of highway I stare at those cement
dividers and wish I could just pull over and ride them. Adam found an
area that was a blast to play and practice in with huge boulders,
highway dividers, large cement pipes, and other large cement
structures. So much stuff that we only scratched the surface with all
the possible lines.

Riding again with Brian Mackenzie, Joel Burgess and Nick from
Philadelphia was awesome. I wish there was a way for us all to ride
together more often. It was also nice to see new young faces with so
much talent and promise.

Thanks again Adam and Renie for all your hard work,
Brian Maw

--
brianmaw
brianmaw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8864

brianmaw wrote:
> Great write up Steve!
> It was a pleasure to meet and ride with you.
> Yes Adam and Renie did it again. They opened up their house to us all
> and made us feel right at home. Feeding us and making sure we got to
> ride all that L.I. had to offer. Adam and Renie did an outstanding
> job finding great areas for Muni and trials as well. From the old
> abandoned car in the woods to my new favorite trials playground I can
> honestly say I can't wait to get back there for more riding. Every
> time I drive along a stretch of highway I stare at those cement
> dividers and wish I could just pull over and ride them. Adam found an
> area that was a blast to play and practice in with huge boulders,
> highway dividers, large cement pipes, and other large cement
> structures. So much stuff that we only scratched the surface with all
> the possible lines.
>
> Riding again with Brian Mackenzie, Joel Burgess and Nick from
> Philadelphia was awesome. I wish there was a way for us all to ride
> together more often. It was also nice to see new young faces with so
> much talent and promise.
>
> Thanks again Adam and Renie for all your hard work,
> Brian Maw

It was our pleasure!!!!!!!!!!!
Any Time!!!
Being we all loved it, I guess we have no choice but to do it again and
again and again.
Then I will find more.
I'm glad everyone had a blast.

Adam

--

JustOneWheel wrote:
> You came to eat some rocks. I'm glad we were able to feed you some
> boulders.:D And i'm not talking about Renie's meatballs.:eek:

:eek: You got gut's. You know Renie reads this when your not around.
:D

I have to say that 'Rock Farm' in Long Beach was fantastic. Now I have
to learn trials.

--
shibumi

Jeff

"Everyone is my equal, in that I may learn from them." Quote from 'All
in the Family'
shibumi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8816

why did i skip the trials?! oh yeah, because i muni'ed the heck out of
the trails that adam put in front of me and i needed a nap

--

shadowuni wrote:
> why did i skip the trials?! oh yeah, because i muni'ed the heck out of
> the trails that adam put in front of me and i needed a nap

But your a youngin'

--
shibumi

Jeff

"Everyone is my equal, in that I may learn from them." Quote from 'All
in the Family'
shibumi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8816

Sounds like a great weekend. I had my first Muni ride with Brian M, and
I sure hope it won't be the last. I hope to get out to some trails
other than the one's here in North Bay. Maybe I'll see some of you out
there. Are any of you participating in the May long weekend 24 hour
Muni? If so, I'll see ya there.

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002